Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Exercise Myths - Week 2

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/08/17, 11:36 AM
Well, here it is... I just love the Spot Reducing myth! How many times has that been posted on this site? Yet again, even doctors prove what we have been advising members on here ourselves since the garden of eden. :)

Bettia
--------------------------------------------------------

EXERCISE MYTHS - Week 2

Over the next few weeks we will discuss exercise myths - some of which might be preventing you from getting the right level of fitness in your own life. The surgeon general estimates that if more Americans got up and got moving that 200,000 lives each year could be saved. There is a lot of advice out there and we're going to try and help answer some of your questions.

Myth: "If I do the right exercise, I will be able to target and get rid of trouble spots."
Men and women gain weight in different areas, that's no myth. Often at the gym you'll see the men on abs machines (because they tend to carry weight around the middle) and you'll see women on the abductor - hip and thigh - machines (because they tend to carry weight on the hip, thigh and buttock areas.) Spot-reducing is an exercise myth! These types of exercises are excellent for building and toning muscle, however these muscles are below the layer of fat that most people attempt to target with spot-reducing exercises. The only way to get rid of the flab is to lose weight. Where you lose weight depends on your genes and other factors like your age. It is easier to lose weight around the middle, rather than on hips and thighs. If you're struggling to lose weight in the lower areas, work on strengthening arms and upper body to give a more balanced look.

Myth: "It doesn't matter what exercise I do. All exercise burns lots of calories."
If your goal is to lose weight, exercise alone won't do the trick. Walking a mile burns about 100 calories but did you know that sitting still for the same amount of time burns nearly 60 calories? This is one reason why people can get easily discouraged when they exercise without combining it with a healthy diet. Obviously, the more exercise you get the more fit your body will become. This will allow you to burn more calories because you'll be able to spend more time exercising. You'll soon be able to walk 5 miles instead of just one. As your body adapts to more exercise, it will burn more calories instead of just burning carbohydrates - which is what happens in people who are less active. Perhaps most important of all, regular exercise is the best way to maintain the weight you've worked so hard to lose.

Stay tuned…next week we'll explode two more myths!

--------------
Bettia.... You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/17, 12:06 PM
"walking a mile burns 100 calories but did you know sitting still for the same amount of time burns nearly 60 calories"

LOVE that!!These are great!This thread will be so helpful to refer beginners to.I know when I first started with fitness education years ago I believed many of these myths,I understand why some would think beginners should already know this stuff if they are going to put forth the effort...but I still insist a lesson can not be learned if it isn't taught.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/17, 09:32 PM
MAYBE WE COULD PRINT THIS OUT AND DROP THE FLYERS OVER EVERY GYM IN THE COUNTRY!!!!!

EVERY MEMBER HERE SHOULD HAVE THEIR EYES PRIED OPEN AND BE FORCED TO READ THIS AND REREAD IT UNTIL IT SINKS IN....

Myth: "If I do the right exercise, I will be able to target and get rid of trouble spots."
Men and women gain weight in different areas, that's no myth. Often at the gym you'll see the men on abs machines (because they tend to carry weight around the middle) and you'll see women on the abductor - hip and thigh - machines (because they tend to carry weight on the hip, thigh and buttock areas.) Spot-reducing is an exercise myth! These types of exercises are excellent for building and toning muscle, however these muscles are below the layer of fat that most people attempt to target with spot-reducing exercises. The only way to get rid of the flab is to lose weight. Where you lose weight depends on your genes and other factors like your age. It is easier to lose weight around the middle, rather than on hips and thighs. If you're struggling to lose weight in the lower areas, work on strengthening arms and upper body to give a more balanced look.

--------------

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/08/17, 11:09 PM
I concur asimmer totally. :)

--------------
Bettia.... You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com