Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Double Edged Sword

BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/28, 01:34 PM
It figures, seems like another round of chemo is in the near future for me per my oncologist, seems one of my tumors that had shown shrinkage has begun to increase in size again, thus another round, yay.... My problem is that i get awfully worn down and that im told to limited excercise to save strength, but in doing so, i lose muscle mass and any grounds ive made cardio wise goes out the window hence making any excercise after my treatments more excruciating, but if i try to work out even slightly i risk injury, nausea, loss of muscle control, dizziness and so forth, so damned if i do and dammed if i dont, i guess ill keep up with my program until i decided whether to do another round at this time or not, and see how the cards fall from there ...

--------------
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2006/08/28, 01:48 PM
You can limit the negative effects of not working out and doing cardio with a strict diet. I would listen to the doc about taking it easy, but with the right diet you can keep some of your results so far. (especially wiht light workouts).

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/28, 01:53 PM
Bill I have not been there, but I have had many family members go thru it. I would take it easy, do what you can when you can and not really worry about gains and or losses. First and fromemost is beating the everliving shit out of that tumor. In order todo that you need all the energy and strenght you can get. I am here all the time if you need to talk! God bless and I will pray for a great outcome!:love:

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2006/08/28, 02:01 PM
Bill, Id follow doctors orders too. It may encourage you to know that muscle memory is a wonderful thing. That means if you're forced to lay off for a few months, when you start back, your gains will quickly return. Good luck and you're in our prayers.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/28, 02:02 PM
Hi bill....I'm sorry to hear things aren't going as planned...I say you should focus on getting your spirit strong for what you need to endure...and we'll work on the rest later.In a short time you have become an important part of the community for me...I'll say a little prayer for you.Me and the Man upstairs go way back...I'll call in a favor for ya!!:)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/08/28, 02:07 PM
Bill, sounds like you've got some serious challenges ahead. Your body is going to need all of it's strength to combat the negative effects of chemo and to rid itself of the tumors. Don't stress it out further by over exerting yourself. Focus on eating extremely healthy and getting some form of simple exercise as your body permits. Once you've beaten this demon, then you can get yourself back on track. Keep well, my thoughts and prayers are with you:love:

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/28, 02:11 PM
Lot of good advice in here. Good luck to you Bill.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/28, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone, i do have a battle before me, one that i had thought i was gaining some ground on but then again it rears its ugly head. i know keeping my spirit up is key, and ive tried, dont get me wrong, oh have i have tried, but it seems everytime my doctors calls me and wants my mom or sister to come into the office with me means something bad, so this time when they called i went alone, knowing all is not hunky-doory. im very strong, have to be, ive been through this numerous time already but i feel for my mom, i see it in her eyes everytime i get sick and theres nothing she can do to ease my pain, seeing that look in her eyes if the hardest thing for me, harder than any chemo sickness, or radiation burn, or spinal tap that i endure, and its taking its toll on me emotionally, to the point where im guessing if another round of chemo is the answer, theres quantity of life and there's quality of life, i guess there comes a time for someone in my shoes to hinder that point and make a decision... boy am i glad i dont have any children, that would add alot of pressure. Time for a sitdown with mom i guess. thanks for the words of encouragement guys and gals, it is much needed and appreciated :love:

--------------
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/28, 02:27 PM
Hang in there. BEAT IT do not let it BEAT you!

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/28, 02:28 PM
I am at a loss for words. Cannot imagine going through what you are. You have our prayers for sure, and your family whom it is just as hard on.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
2006/08/28, 02:49 PM
Amen Ron. Bill, you may be the toughest guy I know.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/28, 08:07 PM
Worked out tonight, felt great, went to mom's, gave her the bad news, made her cry, felt bad again, thought about stopping off for a brew or 27, realized the 30 mins of cardio would all be wasted, felt better again... thanks peeps ..:big_smile:

--------------
2006/08/28, 10:44 PM
bill good luck fighting the tumor. you sound like a strong person so I know you will overcome it.

I agree with others about keeping your nutrition as good as possible while you're forced to limit your gym time. I think doing light cardio is still good though. Even a light walk around the block everyday is good while you're doing chemo.

I would also take fish oil supplement. It will help spare your muscle. Multivitamin along with some extra antioxidants might be well worth it also.
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/29, 07:50 AM
will do menace, thank you ....

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/29, 07:51 AM
Good luck , Bill. All of our thoughts are with you.

--------------

Dont ever give up on a dream due to the amount of time it will take to achieve it. The time will pass anyway.
- Russ Ebsen

Aim high, time flies (fortune cookie saying)