Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Cutting Weight (THE WRONG WAY)

CrackIzBaD
CrackIzBaD
United States
2007/08/16, 02:29 AM
Making things short, Its offseason for wrestling, which means this is the time i take advantage of to get bigger and strong. I currently weigh 158lbs, and dur wrestling season, i may have to cut down back to 152lbs or even 145lbs. My question is, is there any way how i can keep and/or progress with lean muscle gains and stay on weight? Considering that most of the "cutting" is all done within 1-2 weeks, is there anyway i can do this safely and partially healthy? Can i still keep my gains over the summer? And am i able to make lean gains while cutting at the same time? Thanks for the help.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/16, 12:18 PM
You're not at a bad weight to make it to the 145's. However, not being an idiot about it can go a long way.

Focus now on getting stronger and faster, and also make sure you stay on the mat all summer long. However, don't worry so much about your conditioning. About 10 weeks out from the start of the seasoning, start conditioning again, and this is when you should start cutting down.

There is always an attraction in wrestling as a sport to wait till the last minute to cut, but it really won't do much for you. The best wrestlers I knew on the state team were close to their weight class at training camp, which came weeks prior to fargo nationals.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
CrackIzBaD
CrackIzBaD
United States
2007/08/24, 04:56 PM
"About 10 weeks out from the start of the seasoning, start conditioning again, and this is when you should start cutting down." Sorry i didn't quite get this. So from the start of the season, to a 10 week period, thats when i should start cutting? I'm still in highschool and I don't knw if there are diff seasons or a longer season for college etc? Anyway, the first match our coach would let us go @ the weight we're already at, and then after that match, he wants us to start getting down to our real weight class which can hav us cutting more than we'd like. He doesnt mean to cut 10 pounds in one week, but some of us do that just to get there, how do i go about this?