Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Cont of my Workout Journal

1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last
2006/05/20, 11:36 PM
-the last thread was getting too big and loaded too slow so I have decided to start a new one....wish we could do multiple pages under 1 thread...so it would load faster...

5/20/06
6pm
-300mg caffeine+150mg aspirin+500mg magnesium
-been taking creatine lately more consistantly , everyday for 5-6g before sleep...

Chin Ups:
bodyweight(220)-15 reps....had a few more....
-belt+carabiner+loading pin(3 lb)
+125-0+1 rep...got about halfway and then did a slow negative...a bit disappointed...last time managed a full rep with chin over the bar....should have done less bodyweight chins...felt more uncomfortable with loading pin...very awkward...
+100-1+1 rep...
-chainbelt:switched b/c felt too uncomfortable with loading pin
+100-2+0 reps....a bit easier....did a slow negative on the last rep...

Bench:
135-15 reps
225-15 reps
315-3+0 reps....pause on chest
365-1+0 pause on chest....help on lift off..
-15 min rest...did light stretching of shoulders, externl rotators
420-0+1 rep...the spotter was a newb and even though I told him "i need help on lift off from the rack and then I got it...I'll say HELP ....if I get stuck or need assistnace"....so what does he do? keeps his fukn hands underneath the dam bar during the whole rep...I scream I GOT IT I GOT IT....does he move his hands? NO....so I rack the weights...and I am like 'did u help me?'...he says he jsut kept his hands underneath......but ofcourse I am not a complete idiot I could feel him taking weight off the bar...honestly wasnt having the strongest of days so cant say for certain if I would have had it...eh...
-went and did the speed bag for a few minutes....was pretty pissed....the guy wascool tho...he apologized ...so iwas a lot mroe specific on next sets...telling him HANDS OFF the bar after I unrack with his help...
365-3+0 reps....with light taps...help on lift off
315-7+0 reps.....help on lift off

-PR on 365...so not too pissed
-did chin ups in between heavy bench sets...

Sitting Rear Delt Machine:
200-8+0 reps
220-5+0 reps

Sitting Left arm tricep extension:
110-1+0 reps...no strength...hint to go..

7:25pm

-did BBGM in the gym after 420....got a solid close with right hand and 5 sec shut hold....got within 1/8 or less with left hand....
-got #3 ..easily as hard or harder than my BBE...a beast even after seasoning(120-140 foot stomps)...
-BBE broke parallel with right, maybe 1/2-3/4" inch with right, 3/4-1" with left

crushing grip def getting better.....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/05/21, 12:19 AM
Hate it when people help you. Yesterday, I had a friend spot on my heaviest set of bench, and I got two reps. However, I think I maybe could've gotten 3, but in the middle of my second rep, he he put his hands under the bar, and I had to tell him to stop and pause right in the middle of my rep.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2006/05/22, 06:11 PM
5/22/06 1:45pm

ATG Squats:-touched knees to my chest
135-10 reps
225-5 reps
275-3 reps
315-2+0 reps...maybe had 1 more
335-1+0 rep....GMed it after about halfway point...was disappointed
345-1 negative
355-1 negative
-was trying to see where I am at in these exercise...I am probably going to do it from now on for squats.....with about a shoulder width stance....a nice compromise from the super narrow stance I had beforehand....and now that my squat is complete crap...no fear of losing strength...lol

Bench:
135-50 reps....had maybe 2-5 more...

One arm External Rotation Cable Cuff Exercise:
30-8+0 reps...with very strict form

Left Leg Sitting Curl Machine:
50-10 reps
120-4+0 reps

Sitting Left Arm Tricep extension machine:
110-6+0 rep

2:45pm END

-got #3 to season another 1/8 of an inch with another 100 foot stomps...so it's now about a midpoint between BBGM and BBE...was able to get it within 1/2" with right..left to within 3/4-1"...got BBGM with a solid close and 10 sec hold with right hand...about 1/4" from close with left...then did a few negatives with left afterward...
-ordered 2 powerballs(Blue Neon Pro)....will see what i can do with them....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/05/22, 06:33 PM
Are ATG Squats not harsh on the knees? Just curious, cuz I've heard that before.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2006/05/23, 03:54 AM
They are better on the knees...not worse....
2006/05/23, 03:57 AM
Key is to sit back....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/05/23, 12:32 PM
I find that athletic squats don't hurt my knees at all, while olympic ATG squats do. Like menace said, the only difference is you sit back farther with an athletic ATG squat. While the tension will naturally be higher on the patella, it is minimal.

I believe in tests that are commonly sited in which the knees were allowed forward mobility (olympic), the torque was 37% greater. However, when you look at photos from the study, you quickly see that the test subjects arent in a full squat, rather a mess of limbs with bent knees. So I'd suspect that with an experianced squatter, it would be significanly less.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/05/23, 12:33 PM
The bug has bitten. Menace is officially a grip training enthusiast.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
2006/05/23, 05:29 PM
Haha.....yep....see what you did by directing me to gripboard...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/05/23, 09:41 PM
Oh god, this was my fault?

--------------
Iron and chalk.

2006/05/26, 05:42 AM
5/26/06
1am
-decided to get a gripper workout before sleep
-chalked up both sides of the gripper

#3: within 1/4" right hand and 1/2" left...felt much easier than before
BBGM: held closed for ~15 sec right hand and 1/4" from closed left hand
BBGM: held closed for ~10 sec right hand and 1/2" from closed left hand
BBGM: held closed for ~5 sec right hand and 1/2" from closed left hand
BBSM: held closed for 20 sec right hand and better than 1/4"from closed left hand

felt strong...should close #3 with right hand soon...within couple of months hopefully....wanted to go deadlift yesterday but just couldnt get up so I took it as a sign to get my sleep and move it to today or saturday....
2006/05/29, 12:48 AM
5/28/06 5pm
-took 400mg caffeine(200/200, 1 hour apart)+150mg aspirin

CHin Ups:
bodyweight(220)-5 reps
+115-1+0 reps...slow negative
+115-1+0 reps...slow negative
+125-0+1 reps...couple inches shy of chin over the bar
Pull Ups:
bodyweight-10+0 reps

Bench:
135-20 reps
225-5 reps
315-1 rep
345-1 rep
375-2+1 reps...3/4 on 3rd..couldnt lock out....had help on unracking....

Military Presses:
135-5 reps
185-3+0 reps
195-1+0 reps....not pretty....took everything I had but locked it out...

Pinch Grip 100lb DB by the side:
-used chalk...made picking up DB much easier
-15 sec
-10 sec
-10 sec

Sitting Left arm tricep extension:
100-10+0 reps
110-4+0 reps

Grippers:chalked up
#3-parallel with both hands...no strength
BBGM-1/8" right hand and 1/4" left hand....had nothing left

7:35PM END
-got powerballs I ordered...now if I could only get them going...still trying to figure out how to get them started.....
2006/05/29, 09:44 AM
forgot to add

Standing Alt DB Curls:
80s-5+0 reps...with pretty good form...PR
90s-1+0 rep....bit disappointed, was going for at least 2...

got powerball to 8640 ...lol....at least i got it going....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/05/29, 07:27 PM
============
Quoting from menace3000:
got powerball to 8640 ...lol....at least i got it going....
=============

Thats the hard part...

Ive got to get a counter for mine.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

2006/05/30, 02:00 AM
my hands were numb afterwards...

I got 2...so i might try 2 at the same time...that will be nuts...LOL...
2006/05/31, 10:07 PM
5/31/06 5pm

-400mg caffeine+150mg aspirin+750mg magnesium

Deadlift:
225-10 reps
315-1 rep
405-1 rep
495-1 rep

w/chalk
585-1 rep..+2-3 sec hold....easy...PR
605-1 rep..+2-3 sec hold....easy....surprising...had more...tore a callus....not too bad tho...was pumped...PR

w/straps
675-1 rep...easiest rep at this weight for me....probably 4-5th time I tried it...
685-1+0 reps....gave it everything...from mid knee struggled to lock it out.....new PR..

Pulldowns:
250-6+0 reps....down to chin

grippers:
BBGM-within 1/8 with both hands...with slight set
#3-cheat close....handles came apart 1/16-1/8....then I hold for about 5 sec with each hand...

6:30PM END

-got powerball to 11208....with left hand after getting high 10G....gave it to my friend at work after I started up and got it to spin 6-8G....he got 10802...pretty awesome IMO...my delts, forarms, fingers, wrists are sore after yesterdays powerball workout....tried doing it with powerball in each hand and got tired within 20-30 sec....going at 8-10G......fun tool/toy
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/01, 06:55 PM
Congrats on the deadlift PRs. Are the powerballs really worth buying? I've heard they're cool, but not really that great for training.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/01, 10:14 PM
Ya know what's crazy....your upper body was pressing 400 pounds when you did that triple of dips, and your max on squat was 365. My ratio of strength is way different (even though I'm not strong at all). I do dips with 1 plate ON A GOOD DAY (which totals out to about 235), and I max out around 280 on squat on a regular day. It should make you feel good that your arms are that powerful.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/02, 01:31 AM
I am very aware of the disparity....365 squat vs 410-420 bench....my form on bench is pretty good...on squat it's not very good(i am trying to do the basics...but it never feels right the way it does on bench/deads)....

I am not really worried about squat right now...I wasnt even planning on going( i almost never go to the gym day , two, three after my deadlifts...much less on 3 hours of sleep and do squats...however I was there and I was curious to try out the sitting shoulder press station for squats and I can never go light... ) but went to hang with a friend who never showed...lol...serves me right....

I basically did things I havent done before for the most part....my friend started doing deadlifts so I wanted to see how heavy I could go...4 plates were very hard to get up...i am going to try get 5 one of these days....well i am fried....off till monday bench...

For you that's awesome since you're a bballer...lower body strength is more important....but there's also not that much of disparity....with improved bench form, u can easily catch or surpass the squat....I would however do a specialized program for squat/deadlift if I was u....bench is good but it doesn't carry over very well to the court/field....still dont know why people do it....if I didnt want to compete in powerlifting I would instead concentrate on military presses/dips ...
2006/06/02, 05:44 AM
I basically did things I havent done before for the most part....my friend started doing dips*

aspirin extends the effects of caffeine...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/03, 11:56 PM
Oh, ok, I was just thinkin, Menace, you bench 400+, squat 300+, and 4 plates is hard on you for deadlift?? You were sounding way more outta wack than your bench/squat ratio :laugh:. Yeah, bench press really isn't the most important exercise I do by any means, but it is good for chest, tris, and shoulders....really I am just guilty of actually caring about how much I bench. It's a mix between my ego and my love for the sport of powerlifting. My workouts aren't really completely for bball, powerlifting, or bodybuilding, but they improve all of those things.

My current routine:

Monday- Jumping Workout: A dynamic lift with power output exercises

Tuesday- ME Upper

Wednesday- Off

Thursday- Jumping Workout: Really more of a ME day, but I only do a max on squat and then deadlift rack lockouts for low sets followed by depth jumps.

Friday- Repetition Upper Body

Saturday- Jumping: Pretty much the same as Monday

I know this seems extremely high volume, but for some reason, I respond incredibly well to this jumping routine, and the ME/REP conjugation for my upper body works well too. I change exercises every few weeks, but keep the same idea, and every 5th week, have a good rest with only light pool workouts for jumping and a little upper body. For some reason, this training is what I have responded to the best.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/04, 12:04 AM
Also, I can only train this way if I eat PERFECTLY and with the help of antioxidants, the wonderful hot/cold showers, and proper stretching/rest. I know you guys probably think I'm crazy, and the high volume generally goes against the grain of popular strength training and recovery, but I swear by it. I love helping others with their training, but I usually don't reccomend what I do because an Idea can only go so far. A person can achieve great success with complete personalization.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/04, 05:03 AM
My squat will soon hit 405....and then more....I am not worried...

Yea I accidently put deadlifts instead of dips...LOL....I am going to hit 700 in 2 weeks...the 675 was a breeze and 685 was unreal with only 5-8 min of rest....I am prolly gonna go for chalked 635 and 700 max with straps....

Aron best advice is to do what works for u...I could never handle that volume...2 workouts a week is max for what I can handle...

I would rethink doing ME squat/deadlift every week....once every 2 weeks may be better...with the jumping workouts you're doing....

Are you taking B-Complex? it really helps your body recover....Also how much are you taking for antioxidants? I found that I can significantly bump up my C supplementation...Are you taking any creatine? it's great for recovery....Cissus Quadrangularis is also pretty good at allowing your other body tissues to adapt to the stress faster....I take powder....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/04, 08:52 AM
Well, the squat and deadlift was actually very taxing this week, and I am re-thinking on that one. Usually, I'll do a ME on Squat and then 3 sets of 2 on deadlift lockouts, but I accidently set the pins too low on the cage this week (talk about a good shock). Ill finish this later my computer"s f_in up

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/04, 04:04 PM
I would do squat every 2 weeks and deadlift every 3....if you're doing the plyometrics...and the weeks u're doing ME squat/deadlift I would take out 1 plyo...

What about doing some rep upper body work on upper ME day and taking the other day off?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/05, 05:33 PM
Man we think so much alike, I was just thinkin to combine my Rep and ME day wouldn't be a bad idea considering the importance of it for basketball. Anyways, to finish up what I was sayin earlier, I'm not quite sure what a B-Complex is, and I take Vitamin C, E, B6 (in very small amounts), and Selenium. My PWO shake has creatine and glutamine in it. As it gets closer and closer to the end of summer, my routine should look more like this:

Monday: Dynamic Box Squat w/Power Output Exercises

Tuesday: ME Upper Body combined with REP Upper Body

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: ME Lower Body w/Power Output Exercises

Friday: Off

Saturday: Light Plyometrics with Bball/Quickness Drills

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/05, 06:35 PM
B-Complex is a fairly complete source of B-vitamins and it's amazing at helping deal with stress.....night and day for me...after ME...or when I have stressful days in general...

Try to get about 3-5g of creatine daily....glutamine is useless as u may have seen BB1 have a post about it...

6/5/06 1:45pm
400mg caffeine+100mg aspirin+750mg magnesium

Bench:
135-15 reps
225-5 reps
315-3 reps with pause on chest
365-1 rep pause on chest
415-1+0 reps....paused for 0.5-1 sec....left arm drifted back 1-1.5 inches according to my friend halfway...but I recovered and pressed it with no help....had help on lift off..slightly chalked my hands but it actually made it worse ...should use either none or way more....just made my hands somewhat slippery...

Chin Ups:
bodyweight(220)-5 reps to chest
+115-2+0 reps ..chin over the bar
+115-2+0 reps ..chin over the bar
+125-1+1 reps ..chin over the bar..slow negative on 2nd...had help getting up on 2nd....
-alternated with bench...did this set before 415 and then rested 10 min

Sitting left tricep extension machine:
120-4+0 reps

Pinching:
tried picnhing 45s....no luck...couldnt budge them...gotta try volume with 35s to get the 45s...

Grippers:
BBGM-2+1 reps with right, 0+2 reps with left...got first rep within 1/8 or worse...second I forced closed with right hand and fought the gripper...getting irritated with my left hand falling behind considerably, I may step up with volume for left hand only...

3pm END
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/05, 08:09 PM
I like to hang weights to the 25lb plates to bridge the gap.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/05, 10:06 PM
If you are looking to catch up your left hand to your right, an idea would be to use an easier gripper for volume and the BBGM gripper for negatives, but the key is to do your left hand first, and only do as many with the right as you could get with your left. This might help?

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/05, 10:07 PM
Also, I have never tried it, but I have heard that supplementation of L-Tyrosine along with your Caffeine works well for elevated energy and mood.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/06, 04:22 AM
Forgot to add 315-9+0 reps after 415....almost thought I had 10...

thanks for the suggestions....
2006/06/11, 12:15 AM
6/10/06 5:45pm
-400mg caffeine

Military Presses:
135-10 reps...tried doing with bar on my upper back...didnt work well...very awkward...so I switched to doing it from the front...
185-5+0 reps
205-0 reps

Push Press:
205-2+0 reps
215-3+1 reps...fcked up on form otherwise had 4th...PR
225-2+0 reps....easy new PR

T-Rows:
4 plates- 3 reps
5 plates- 3 reps
6 plates- 3 reps
w/straps
7 plates- 3 reps....easy new PR
8 plates- 1 rep....not the best of reps...but I'll take it...didnt quite get all the way up and used some lower back but it's cleaner than stuff I seen from Ronnie Coleman...lol

Squats:
135-10 reps
225-3 reps
315-3 reps
365-1 reps
385-1 reps
405-1+0 reps
415-0+1 reps...came straight down...knees creaked....had nothing....didnt sit back...hence the knees creaking...not the best of reps...

Grippers: #3 came within 1/4" with right hand, 1/2" left hand, BBGM 2+1 reps with right hand, within 1/8" with left hand, BBGM 0+3 reps with right,0+3 reps with left did these as cheat closes and fought the gripper

was able to pinch 4-10s with each hand....had nothing on 5..

Hub Lifted a 35 plate with each hand
-great workout overall...very happy with new PRs...had a ton of energy thanks to caffeine....Push Presses were brutal on lower back....I find it more difficult than squats...at least with the weight used....I kinda supersetting t-rows and militaries/pp...rested a lot for both but did one set for one exercise than for another...with lots of rest ....

8pm END
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/11, 04:57 PM
You can do 2 35's easily but not 5 10's? I'm the opposite, the wider I go the more strength I have. And I don't have large hands by any means.

Try doing the push presses with your dominant leg forward to reduce the pressure on your lumbar region. Unless of course your jerking or split jerking.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/11, 04:58 PM
Actually now that I think about it, this would make sense. I am a rock climber, so must of my grip strength is in my finger tips. Hence why I would be stronger with a wider grip.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

2006/06/12, 04:41 AM
had nothing on 5 plates....was pathetic...the outer plates just kept coming upward over the other plates...eh
2006/06/16, 06:08 PM
6/16/06 1:15pm

Bench:
135-10 reps
225-15 reps
315-3 reps
365-3+1 reps....started going back a bit and spotter stepped in about 1/2 of the way....it was close...if I maintained better bar position I may have gotten it....
315-8+0 reps...positioned feet poorly by not planting them firmly and had to readjust foot positioning midset....spotter was a bit annoying kept hands near the bar eventhough I told him I got it...prolly had another rep if I did everything well...

Dips:
bodyweight(220)-5 reps
+45-3 reps
+90-3 reps
+135-3+0 reps...possibly had 1-2 more...didnt push it..

Sitting Rear Delt Machine:
200-5 reps
280-3+1 reps
280-1+0 reps

Standing DB Ext Rot Cuff exercise:
15s-15 reps
30s-15+0 reps

Sitting Left Arm Extension Machine:
120-2+0 reps

2:30PM END
- had 6 hours of sleep and didnt take any caffeine prior to workout....decided to go in for a light workout...the previous workout killed me...next workout I am hopefully gonna deadlift 700..
-tried HG300 chalked up ...2 days ago and missed it by 1/8" right hand and about 1/2" left hand....one tough SOB....
snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2006/06/17, 09:14 PM
Menace, how wide of a grip do you take on bench press? I usually use my ring finger on the power rings but, I think I am gonna change to hands outside the power rings. What do you think? Good idea?
2006/06/18, 02:16 AM
I have thumbs on or just past power rings...I'd go even wider if I could do it safely...
2006/06/22, 06:30 AM
6/21/06 8:10pm

-480mg of caffeine(400+80mg hour later)+150mg aspirin

Deadlift:
225-10 reps
315-3 reps
405-1 rep
495-1 rep

w/chalk
635-0+1....dropped at the knees, bar went too far forward and got bad grip...that really killed me...mentally broke me down before 700....

w/ straps
700-1+0...was moderately hard....+shrugged it for a rep or a partial not sure...

w/chalk
635-1+0 rep...easy rep
655-1+0 rep...also grip was easy...shocked me...my back was having more difficult time than my grip...tho still pretty easy.....i'll try 675 next time....my grip with chalk is getting close to my max with straps....

I got botth 700 and 655 on video and will post them later...used lots of back.....i am sure i'll get criticized for my form...but it is what it is...

Sitting Cable Row: narrow /-\ handles
250-15 reps....had couple more....almsot no lowerback movement

Cable Pulldowns:
250-3+1 reps....failed at the top on 4th...

Decline(highest setting) cable rope sit ups:
100-1+1 reps
60-3+1 reps....couldnt do 4h...failed at the bottom

9:45 PM END
-waited for friend to show up after he said he wanted to see me lift 700...yea....wishful thinking...no big deal....

tried closing BBGM but failed with both hands....grip was fried...
2006/06/22, 06:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/eODRYtt6Rh4

^ 700lb with straps @220

I'll try to upload the 655 without straps ina day or two...takes a while to upload 90mg vids...heh....

also realized i am in need of a serious haircut...LOL
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/23, 05:05 PM
No offense buddy, but that wouldn't pass in any organization other than NASA (north american strongman).
I think the problem actually is the haircut.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/06/23, 06:23 PM
Damm will not load for me at all!

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2006/06/23, 06:26 PM
I realize that form was sht but other than the straps what would be against the rules of the lift? (jerking backwards at the top?)...somehow my form is decent on lighter weight but once it gets heavy for me, it goes crap...

Another problem was that it was windy on the way to the gym, should have worn a beanie...LOL

well that should serve for laughs if not anything else...LOL....kids dont do this at home...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/23, 08:13 PM
You hitched at the top to lock it out. If the weight stops moving, then its a missed lift.

Your out of position when you start the lift, your back is rounded from the start and your legs are extended. This seems like the reason you are hitching at the top, because you've already taken you hips out of the movement by the time your past your knees.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/23, 08:15 PM
You hitched at the top to lock it out. If the weight stops moving, then its a missed lift.

Your out of position when you start the lift, your back is rounded from the start and your legs are extended. This seems like the reason you are hitching at the top, because you've already taken you hips out of the movement by the time your past your knees.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/23, 08:35 PM
On watching it a second time, the hitching may also be a reason your grip is failing. I know for a fact I couldnt hold onto even 80% of my max while hitching like that. It would fall right out of my hands.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/23, 09:32 PM
Yeah man, I can't even deadlift 400, but it looks like you were puttin your weight on your toes at the bottom of the lift and usin the back, just like Steve said. You gotta have some pretty crazy back strength for that, though.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/24, 12:00 PM
I dont see how that could have had an arch. It's ok to round your shoulders forward (though I don't recommend it to most people, it is a style thing. Konstantin is famous for it http://www.gometal.com/videot/konstantin_deadlift_430.wmv)

Anyways, heres what your saying. You deadlift with your back because your hips are weak.
Here is what I am saying: Strengthen your weak link. I can guarantee that your legs can't handle the load when you squat, and I would bet anyone on this dinner that when you fail a squat, you lean forward and gm the weight. You probably also have tight hip flexors if I had to keep quessing. This is causing your glutes to fire improperly.

My prescription: A steady diet of OH squats, and LOTS of unilateral work. I'm saying step ups and lunges should be your ME moves for a while. I would recommnd front squats as they are a lift that usually takes the back out of the motion, but I don't think quad dominant work will help as much.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/24, 12:01 PM
just my advice, take it for what its worth. i'm only pulling 425, but your dl makes my back hurt just watching.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

2006/06/24, 08:25 PM
sadly this didnt even feel like a max....but the form still sucked....

nothing to bet on steve, since I complain about leaning and gming the squat like every other workout...LOL....with OH squats i'll be doing 100lb...not sure that will solve my problems...perhaps front squats can be an option but even with them I am still doing aroun 225-275lb...I'll think about doing lunges...seems like a good alternative....

we'll need to consciously reassess my form ...I have been told my form sucked under heavy weight but I never saw myself on video...so this was first time I saw myself deadlift....

thanks for the suggestions steve, i'll try to implement some of that.....and I am pretty sure u'll hit 500 soon...
1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last