Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Clear evidence of obesity gene

jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/04/12, 05:26 PM
The way this was reported on the news here really irritated me. The suggestion was that people would be fat no matter what they did because of their genes. As far as I understand genes it simply means a *propensity* for obesity rather than a reason. The reason is still over-eating and under-activity no matter what your genes are.

The whole article is here.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6547891.stm

"Scientists say they have identified the clearest genetic link to obesity yet.
They found people with two copies of a "fat" version of a gene had a 70% higher risk of obesity than those with none, and weighed 3kg (6.5lb) more.

The work in Science by the Peninsula Medical School and Oxford University studied data from about 40,000 people.

The findings suggest that although improving lifestyle is key to reducing obesity, some people may find it harder to lose weight because of their genes. "
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/04/12, 08:14 PM
Sure, they have a "higher risk." That doesn't guarantee they will be fat. When it comes to nature vs. nurture, I strongly belive the nurture part to be more influential when it comes to obesity. If the parents are rather large, they have kids who are as well (I know, not always, but a majority of the time). Now track that kid from the time he's a toddler to teenager. Look at the foods the kids eat. See what their activity level is like. More than likely he will aquire the habits of the parents. This leads to obesity. People make choices, but young children don't have that opportunity. Bad habits start early. If you educate the parents and youth of the world, we have a much better chance of fighting obesity.

My $0.02.....

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/04/12, 11:21 PM
shez usually i dont critic your posts but should have changed the title of this one to Foggy Evidence not Clear Evidence lol...Its always interesting that human beings can not come to terms they make themselves fat no matter their genetic code...they may not be fitness models but we all ultimately control fat vs. thin
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/04/13, 03:52 AM
Jay, it wasn't my words, it was the banner headline the BBC used.
In my opinion Jbennet is right, it is absolutley possible that this gene is linked to the likelyhood of overeating or underexercising rather than a direct cause of obesity. Unfortunately people looking to blame influences outside of their control will love this report; it allows them to wallow in their plight and blame everything but themselves.
If you read the report carefully the report does in fact say that exercise and diet are the keys, but it's hidden beneath the attention grabbing headline.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/13, 12:54 PM
Copout.

For one thing, nothing in genetics is clear. Nothing.

For another, you'd be telling me that when I travel overseas to countries where obesity isn't even an issue, that it's really just an entire culture of people that don't possess a certain gene? I don't think so.

Take 2 twins, send one to ireland and one to NYC, and one will suddenly develop an obesity gene? Guess which one...

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk