Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Chubby girl seeks help soon!

JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/05/24, 10:22 PM
Well... to make a long story short... I am overweight and not to proud of it! I have completely lost my energy... I am a short 5'2" and I weigh in at 197. I have two children and since I have had them I have packed on the weight. I have a severe addiction to soda. I can not seem to live with out it. I have tried to tell myself all the negative stories about it yet I keep going back. I have even given my self acid reflux from drinking so much of it.... do you think I stopped... NO! I need help kicking the soda bucket! I need to learn new ways of excercise that I can do when I first wake up in the morning before work and one that I can utilize before bed. Granted I have limited time to work with. I am usually on the run all day long. My job... I work at a desk for 8 hours a day...stuffing my face with items I probably do not need. All I have to say is... I have finally had it with myself and any and I mean any help would be much appreciated!!!!! PLEASE!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/24, 11:05 PM
Welcome to ft!

You have taken the first step - now pick an exercise program to ease into - try walking in place in the morning, do some push-ups, crunches, anything to get moving. There is a great series called walk away the pounds with leslie sandstone (i think that is her name..) it is low impact aerobics and great for beginners. Look at the library or on amazon.com for a used copy cheap.

Spend some time on this site learning everything you can about eating healthy for life. Apply the knowledge.

When you need support, come on here and post - lots of cheerleaders here!

You can do this!

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/05/24, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much for responding! I will deffinately check that book out... and hope I can finally get motivated like I know I should... and hopefully start seeing results from all the hard work I am determined to put into this!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/24, 11:18 PM
It is a dvd. Change all of your previous statements to positive wording - "I will get motivated like I know I can. ..and i will see results from the hard work I will do."
Don't let your mind tell your body that it is opkay to 'try' you have to 'do'

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/05/25, 07:31 AM
That may just be what I needed to hear! I have always said try before and never I will achieve my goal. Perhaps this time is different.... Last night before bed I did a 20 min workout. Whereas before I would have just gone to bed. This time I am determined! I am really quite sick of lieing to myself... Thanks for your help... and hope to continue talking with you soon.
PrairieGirl
PrairieGirl
Canada
2004/05/25, 09:46 AM
Hi JenO - welcome to ft. Lots of check in a few times a week on the "Monday" thread. Join us. We help each other along.

This isn't easy. We all know it isn't easy. But honestly, the first steps are the hardest. Finally telling yourself that living is more important than soda or popcorn. Finally telling yourself that having energy to do the things you want to do is more important that watching TV. Finally telling yourself that your health is the most important thing you've got ... those are the first hard steps. But once you get this rolling, it gets a little easier. You'll see results, but more importantly, you'll feel results and that will work as motivation.

Join us girl! Get fit and healthy. We're all on the same path.

Good luck and keep posting.
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2004/05/25, 10:28 AM
asimmer is right...the "Walk Away the Pounds" dvds are excellent. My girlfriend has them and loves them. Now, if I could get her to use them more, and put down that Coke can.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/05/25, 03:34 PM
JenO, also, when trying to stop drinking soda, the thing most people miss the most is the carbonation. So I would suggest as a way to get yourself off it slowly, buy some bottled fruit juices, and mix half a glass of juice with half a glass of seltzer water. You get the sweet, the carbination, and nutritionally it will be much better than soda!
JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/05/25, 06:29 PM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful support and advice! I have actually addicted myself to the fruit flavored waters that they sell at Walmart or Target... or other stores like those. They have the same fizz I crave yet have zero carbs, zero calories, zero fat. Yet taste good... and sort of fulfill my want for soda. I do own the Richard Simmons tapes and Tae Bo. I enjoy doing them both. I remember back in high school we were to work along with the Richard Simmons tapes and I had actually lost 20 lbs in 4 months. I enjoyed it so much I ran out to buy the tapes. Now since I've had my kids I have packed the weight on. I eventually will get my ball rolling again and get back on my pounds sheding wagon. Once again... Thank you all you are all to kind with the support and help you are giving to me.
Zoesmama
Zoesmama
United States
2004/05/27, 02:15 PM
Is it regular full cal soda?
I found the easiest way for me to give up soda was to cut to caffine free first. Some times its the caffine you are addicted to. Then I slowly swapped out one for milk, water or a 100% juice drink. Juice will be key in the sweet taste and sugar addictions.

I know how hard it is to give up soda. :) But keep working at it. I personally wouldn't recommend diet because lots of people then become addicted to the artifical sweetner aspertame and its not good for us either.
Zoesmama
Zoesmama
United States
2004/05/27, 02:20 PM
Just saw your last post. Its good you are getting off the sodas. You will probably loose 10 lbs in a month with cutting out soda alone.

I have Tae Bo too but no vcr hooked up. I'd love to get the dvds but with having a new baby girl myself I am pretty well broke. I will have to get my husband to hook up the vcr this weekend, I think we need a cord and we don't get paid till tomorrow.

JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/05/27, 06:18 PM
Thanks Zoesmama! Yeah I deffinately think it is the soda that is truly killing me! I think by cutting that out of my vocabulary I will drop pounds. I drink that stuff almost to much. I think I have truly addicted myself to the flavored water. It has the same fizz I think I crave that soda has... yet has nothing to back up the carbs, calories or the consequences. Congrats on your new baby girl! :big_smile: And hope you can get your vcr running... Tae Bo is wonderful! I just need to get motivated to use it.....
frugal
frugal
United States
2004/05/28, 06:55 PM
Hey, Jen - I have Tae Bo tapes, maybe we could start using them together, like twice a week or something, by together I mean we could check in with one another on the list here or email. I like variety, so that is my biggest thing is to not get bored or I S T O P. My greatest investment I have found lately is my big, red boxing bag. At first it hurt like #*( when I first started (I had those big red boxing gloves, but they hurt, too), I wrap my hands now and just slug away, it is amazing the stress I through into that thing and now it almost MOVES when it sees ME coming! LOL! Truly, though, I think it helps to find your "thing" and then maybe mix and match if you get bored like me but using the same cardio emphasis. Let me know if you, or anyone else, is interested in doing the Tae Bo check in. Have you heard about that Beachbody - lose in 90 days thingy? That looks like something I might like.
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/05/28, 10:44 PM
Ok, can't believe I am posting this link cause it has the worst pix of me to date on it but it also has a link to WOWY on it. . . Work Out With You. . . it is a great little program that I found when I started using my Beach Body workout videos. The link is about halfway down the page on the right hand side. www.mybeachbody.com/2bsz10 You will always have peeps to work out with there!:love:

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/05/29, 11:17 AM
Thanks Frugal and Kyrah!!! These sound like fantastic helpers to my long journey ahead! I will deffinately enjoy being your Tae Bo buddy! lol. Anything to keep me in line and help others do the same! I am just starting my vacation today from work... so you bet I am going to push myself hard this whole week!!!
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2004/05/31, 03:15 PM
Jen. The carbonated fruit flaver water sounds like a great idea. Try crystal lite. You might like those too. I was addicted to Coke Cola and now can't even stand the stuff. It is just habit believe me. Make changes gradually but faithfully and you won't know yourself in a year. Once a week add a new change when you mastered last week's change. Do increments. 50 lbs sounds like a lot to lose but five lbs ten times sounds easier and doable. These little mind games really helped me. I also rewarded myself each five lbs of loss. Perfume, manicure, pedicure, facial, hair do an outfit etc...I have also done the Walk Away the Pounds and strongly recommend them. You can get them at Wal Mart.:cool:
JenOsorio
JenOsorio
United States
2004/06/08, 06:42 PM
Thanks Rickyshot for the push of confidence! I think this whole web page will completely encourage me and help me with my goal to lose those nasty unwanted pounds. Thanks again!!! :big_smile:
zippie
zippie
United States
2007/02/27, 09:02 AM
hey... i am 16 and i weigh 216 have any advice for me... i have concdered joining the army and in the past week i have been running a mile daily... :angry: i feel like it is not helping me at all.