Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

chest pains, progress hault

evol_js
evol_js
United States
2006/08/10, 10:46 AM
I've been working out for about 5 months now. I'm on a 6 day a week weight program (each body part twice a week) and cardio after weights for 4 of those days. I've made pretty good progress-- I lost about 30 pounds in 2 months, but then I just stopped losing weight. My diet is great.. so I'm wondering if maybe it's my exercise program.

Also, even after all these months, I'm still unable to do 45 minutes of cardio at 80% without having chest pains. I usually do about 20 minutes on an elliptical machine. If I push myself too hard, I start to get chest pains. I am on high blood pressure medication, but it was cut in half already because my blood pressure is perfect now after losing 30 pounds. Am I doomed to make no more gains?

Should I try a split where I have a day with no weight lifting and just cardio? Any suggestions would be great.

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/10, 11:32 AM
45 minutes of cardio at 80% seems like alot to me???Have you tried hiit training instead of a straight run?Well I see you use the elliptical machine but the same principles would apply.For me it is much easier on my heart rate to do my cardio in intervals of speed instead just all out for 45 minutes.I've seen your posts and I know you are doing very well with your weight loss...keep it up!:)You'll find the answer you're looking for.

I am curious if 80% for 45 min is alot though...anybody???
evol_js
evol_js
United States
2006/08/10, 11:37 AM
Well I read somewhere that unless you can do 80% for 45 minutes you shouldn't even attempt HIIT.. maybe it was false information.. but I got that from www.johnstonefitness.com

Yes the weight loss has been great, up until recently though.. I haven't seen any improvements.. even in appearence.

Maybe I'll try HIIT again, I've tried before but it was very difficult (doing 1 minute intense and 1 minute off).
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/10, 11:41 AM
Ok...we'll have to wait on bb1,or somebody elses's,advice here.Now I'M confused!!:)

So.....we wait!
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/08/10, 11:59 AM
Here's my opinion... Doing wts 6 days per week with cardio added to 4 of those days is too much. I think you're going to burn out, both physically and mentally. Now, it really depends on exactly what you're doing in the gym, but regardless, I would not keep this pace up. Why not try doing wts 3 days per week and on opposing days do your cardio and have 1 day of rest. I'd focus your wt training on full body workouts using compound moves (deadlifts, squats, pull ups, rows, chest press etc) Put everything you have into each workout-and I mean everything-but still keep it under an hour. Next, I'd re-evaluate your diet. Since you've lost 30lbs, your calorie requirements are now less. Again just my humble opinion......

Good Luck...plateaus are a very normal part of the wt loss journey and one of the most frustrating ones for sure!!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
evol_js
evol_js
United States
2006/08/10, 12:06 PM
Yeah that's what I'm considering. bb1 told me to try full body 3 times a week, but I felt like trying this program out first. I'm going to try it now.

As far as my calories.. many have told me I'm not getting enough-- even though I eat all day long. I'm 240ish right now 6'1 and get about 2250 calories a day (I just ordered some fish oil pills.. so that'll bump up to 2500 or so hopefully).

Where does cardio fall into place in a full body split like this.. don't do any cardio on weight days?
evol_js
evol_js
United States
2006/08/10, 12:14 PM
Also, anyone have any ideas about the chest pain? I feel like by now I should be in better cardiovascular shape than that.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/08/10, 01:48 PM
As far as fitting cardio in...do them on not wts day. So for example, do wts on Mon, Wed and Fri and do cardio on Tues, Thurs and Sat and take Sunday as a rest day.

As for the chest pains, see your Dr., especially since you were having bloodpressure issues...better to be safe than sorry.

As for cardio getting easier, it should, to a point. I've been running for years and I still find it tough...but i don't get chest pains!