Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Cardio or Weights

spyboarder6996
spyboarder6996
United States
2006/02/07, 10:52 PM
Its sad I know, I am 16 years old and I am allready considered obese I have finally decided to put a stop to it but I need help. Do I want to do all cardio??? or all free weights?? a Combonation??? I thought that if i did all cardio I would burn lots of calories and Increase my metabolism. I dont want to gain muslce right now I want to lose my weight goal then start to bulk up by doing weights. Is this the right way???? or no?
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/07, 11:13 PM
Spy, good news is you can lose 60lbs by the time you graduate next year in a healthy manner, which is how it should be done. Thing is, it's going to take dedication from yourself, taking off 5lbs a month is no problem especially once you get used to dieting right, which will be the key. Go to the specific diet and nutrition forum and do some browsing, make sure you read "grocery list for healthy eating" and "diet thread".This is a great site o help ou achieve your goals and best of all, it's free. You just have to be willing to do the work. Good luck and welcome to FT!!!

--------------
Seize the day!
Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/02/09, 02:58 PM
Spy i recommending both weights and cardio. Weights build muscle. Muscle eats up calories/fat. The more muscle the faster it will eat the fat. So you do both. Cardio for short term, muscle for long term. After awhile the muscle adds up and effects short term as well.

Diet is the next big piece. Cardio and weights are not gonna do a hill of beans if you are not eating good health wholesome stuff and keeping your calorie count down. but not too far down or you will starve and your metabolism will grind to a halt. Diet forum has all of this. Eat 5-6 times a day. Don't cheat with too much fat and count calories you will be well set on your way.
sst0cki
sst0cki
United States
2006/02/09, 05:00 PM
Weight training is very essential to a healthy lifestyle.

Since your a beginner, I recommend you start weight training with some major compound excersies, Dont be one of the curl jockeys who go there and do isolations ecersises for an hour just on there biceps. There not growing. If you want to be lean and muscular. Do these following excersies 2-3x a week.

Squats
Dead lifts
Military press
Barbell Rows
Bench

spyboarder6996
spyboarder6996
United States
2006/02/09, 11:34 PM
Allright all sounds like great advice, I just wasnt sure what weight training did when you were overweight if it like made it worse or harder or something like that thanks for all the help
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/02/15, 09:27 PM
Hey there spy, don't be afraid of doing weights. :)As long as you follow a healthy diet and do cardio as well you will only benefit from it!!! 9 months ago I was 80lbs overweight. I started a healthy diet and some cardio and the weight started coming off. 5 weeks later I hit my first platou. I started doing research on it and found that lots and lots of health and fitness websites were saying the same: :dumbbell:"Add weights to your workout":dumbbell: At first I was worried that I would put back on some of the weight that I had lost, because muscle weighs more than fat. Don't worry about what your scale says. Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit!!! Well, I gave it a try and stuck with it ever since. It makes you feel great and it helps you burn fat 24/7. There are some great workout routines on this site if you don't know what to do and how to start. Hope that helps, good luck!!!

--------------
MannyMaster
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/15, 10:18 PM
Weight training will help burn more calories and firm up what muscle you do have. Adjust your diet accordingly. It is much harder for women to build muscle than men so that won't be an issue.

--------------
Seize the day!
spyboarder6996
spyboarder6996
United States
2006/03/01, 11:44 PM
UPDATE, since feb, 7th my start date of this post I have lost 10 pounds, It didnt even take that much work just cut my portions in half and drank more water and stayed active KEEP IT UP YOU GUYS
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/03/04, 09:40 PM
Congratulations..great job! You have found the secret diet! Taking in less energy than you expend on a consistent basis. Like magic, weight is lost.

Folks get so caught up in all the "fad" diets, and this is so unecessary. No matter what the name, if you follow any one, they all have the same bottom line, deprive you of calories in some manner and form.

If bodybuilding to single digit fat levels is not your goal, it really is this simple.

============
Quoting from spyboarder6996:

UPDATE, since feb, 7th my start date of this post I have lost 10 pounds, It didnt even take that much work just cut my portions in half and drank more water and stayed active KEEP IT UP YOU GUYS
=============

--------------
Strength and Honor!