Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

cardio for athletes/powerlifters

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/13, 10:18 PM
I've read or heard....don't know which that long duration cardio at mild intensities.....can actually hinder an athlete. Since that is primary endurance...while we train to be explosive and fast?

I'm getting in a good grove, and feeling strong...but I gained about 5-6lbs...like to drop about 10

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/14, 12:42 PM
Steady state cardio burns calories and taxes the body... This can hinder strength gains... Besides that, steady state aerobic training is terrible for fat loss, IMO.

HIIT is a form of high intensity training, which taxes the CNS, which will further hinder strength gains.

This is right where GPP and shorter rest intervals with accessory work would fit in. I'm sure you've heard this over and over again. You're not likely to catch many powerlifters, even light-weights, on a treadmill.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/02/14, 03:31 AM
is this right where complexes and all that woudl fit in... cuz im feelin the same way
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/14, 04:25 PM
Yeah I know....but I've gained some weight, and besides watching what I eat I need somthing else?

A run/jog before breakfast maybe? I've heard if you have alot of fat...like 18% or more cardio before breakfast isn't all that bad.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2007/02/15, 12:45 AM
lately I've tried lose some weight because it was bad, I've lost 15lbs. from running, and spinning, but I still do my powerlifting and sprinting regimen. My strength and Speed has gotten better this whole time.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/02/15, 02:43 PM
I posted a question similar to this in another forum, but I don't know how much most of you guys check those.

My question is concerning boxers. They seem to do a pretty fair amount of cardio to get into shape to fight, but most of them are still tanks and don't look like they've lost a pound of muscle. How does this apply?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/16, 01:33 AM
That's because when you see them, you are seeing them after they have cut. When I was fighting, weigh ins were 24-48 hours in advance. So I'd float around 155-160 and then cut to 145 for the fight. Same thing with wrestling.

Besides that, how would you be able to tell if they lost muscle?

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/02/23, 12:18 AM
bump...

any other advice on this? i am tryin to cut down some weight b/c im gettin more involved in the sports again and i have absolutely no endurance. would this be a prime time to switch from my modified westside to a more DeFranco style? or should i try somethin else? or is it really best to just do GPP... i have a hard time doing it cuz i rarely have access to any equipment and im too retarded to figure out how to do w/o it... ahah
300th
300th
Canada
2007/02/23, 08:39 PM
hey im just reading some of your comments, wrestler125 says "HIIT is a form of high intensity training, which taxes the CNS, which will further hinder strength gains" and im just wondering what does CNS stand for?

"The human body is a machine that winds itself"
- Thomas Hardy
2007/02/23, 08:42 PM
Central Nervous System

--------------
Those who want tolerance must be tolerant to intolerance.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/02/24, 03:03 PM
To reiterate what Steve said, for an athlete, I definitely recommend (for what it's worth) high-intensity methods for fat-loss over steady-state, long-duration cardio.

I remember Gator started adding some 100-yd sprints and cleanin up his diet a while back and had significant results.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/02/25, 02:38 PM
thats true... but if you your someone who is involved in something like powerlifting and wear out the CNS more than normal, i think he is claimin GPP to be a good additive b/c it is not as drainin as HIIT. i could be wrong tho...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/26, 03:00 PM
I'm saying that if you are lifting max effort twice a week, dynamic effort twice a week, and then adding in HIIT and expecting to get stronger, you are likely not going to see the results you expect.

GPP is physically draining, but not taxing on the CNS. Doing more high rep stuff with short rest periods, as well as strongman training, brought my conditioning up in no time. If I really feel I'm lacking, I might add in complexes or tabata workouts from time to time. This is rare though.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/02/26, 09:26 PM
so you feel like tabata will brin conditioning up the fastest? right now i have no conditioning other than weight lifting so anything can help.
i tried tabata the other day with those thrusters or whatever and that was killer. my legs were more sore than they ever are from squats.
i just started up GPP the other night and am lookin forward to that but all i did was drag my spare rim/tire around in a field and push it and carry it. did this for about a half hour which im hopin is good enough. got any other recommendations? i think if i do 2ME and 2DE day and then add like 1-2 GPP days i should be set to drop some weight and increase my conditioning...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/27, 11:21 AM
wrestler...can you give me some ideas of stuff to do for a "cardio" benifit....after my workouts...?

--------------
It\'s called a SQUAT rack for a reason.....

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/27, 04:55 PM
Depends what you need cardio for... some steady state stuff done after a workout isn't always a bad idea, and I've always liked just doing a couple sets of complexes or something at the end of the workout.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.