Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Cardio Exercises??

Moonaria
Moonaria
United States
2003/01/14, 04:53 PM
hi,
I posted this guestion in the general fitness area and was directed that I might find some good advice here so here goes. I want to add cardio to my work out but I don't have a gym member ship and cold weather and I don't get along. jumping jacks and running up and down the small flight of stairs in my apartment ( which may include running into a solid door if I'm not careful) is all I have found. Any other idea that don't involve having to buy anything. I really can't afford to invest in tapes and such right now. Any suggestions would be a huge help. Thanks Michelle
CarolinaChick
CarolinaChick
United States
2003/01/14, 05:45 PM
Get you some good cardio tapes. I know Crunch has some good ones out. My favorites are Kickboxing and Bootcamp. And on the pretty days run outdoors. Jump rope is an excellent form of cardio.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/01/15, 01:51 AM
"I really can't afford to invest in tapes and such right now"...

Well I'm sure that you can find some old cheap ones.....

What about getting a jumping rope?

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
Moonaria
Moonaria
United States
2003/01/15, 06:05 PM
Actually Philia I lost my Job about a month ago because my car died. The cars not fixed and finding a job hasn't been easy though the next few days may clear that up. At the moment my credit card is paying my bills, I really can't afford tapes. Though if I see any in the dollar store or in bargian bins I'll pick them up. The temperature around here is about 8 degrees, we haven't had many pretty days lately. I'll try the jump roping though. I don't know how do able it is in my living room but I'll surely give it a try. Thanks and keep me posted on any other ideas.

thanks,
Michelle
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/16, 01:29 AM
Turn the music up and dance your heart out. Your moving and enjoying the music. Play something fast and you might even break a sweat.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/01/16, 01:40 AM
You could always go out for a long walk.

It's pretty cold here as well but I still walk a lot outside everyday (I have a big dog!). Just put on some warm clothes.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, and I hope things will turn better soon!!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
metraa
metraa
United States
2003/01/17, 09:47 AM

"I really can't afford to invest in tapes and such right now"...

Most libraries have videos that you can borrow. And the dancing suggestion is a good one. Sometimes I'll even dance with my kids to their kiddie music videos. Lifting them and dancing all around is a great workout!

=============

--------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us
----- William Morrow
Greenlee
Greenlee
United States
2003/01/17, 09:37 PM
What abount investing in a step? You can usually find a really cheap one at Wal-Mart. They are great for cardio excercise
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/17, 09:42 PM
Can you jump rope? That is a great one. Mix it up, have fun. Go to the library as mentioned, get some tapes. ESPN has on every morning 3 fitness shows in a row you can work out to. Be imaginative.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Moonaria
Moonaria
United States
2003/01/24, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!!! i found that jumping rope doesn't work well in my living room and I don't have cable. But I'l' definatly be taking a trip to the library soon. Thanks a ton I never thought of that!! Thanks agian.

--------------
The word never isn't in my vocabulary. I don't know how to give up, and I always think big.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/02/04, 12:45 PM
Hi Moon - even if you don't have cable, there may be a fitness show on PBS you can tune in to. Also you might find if you try running outdoors that the weather doesn't bother you so much once your heart rate's up - which is good incentive to get it up and keep it there!
gella696
gella696
United States
2006/04/14, 04:10 PM
I am a huge cardio hater, hate to run, hate bikes and anything of that sort. I was introduced to the "weight aerobics" which works great for me and does substitute cardio requirements. I was doing weight routines with lighter weight but very fast and a lot of reps. for example 5lb in each hand and do 50 raises as quick as you can, 30 seconds rest then repead, for legs lunges are great, you don't need a lot of space for that.
sandy103
sandy103
United States
2008/03/27, 04:51 PM
:( im still confused this is my 1st time and ireally need help can someone post sum good cardio exercises or send me an email pleazze I need help asap....my emai is vely103@tmail.com:dumbbell:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/28, 08:25 AM
?????????? (BANGS HEAD ON KEY BOARD)
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/28, 09:32 AM
Did you not read anything posted here??? There are many good ideas and exercises already listed.

============
Quoting from sandy103:

:( im still confused this is my 1st time and ireally need help can someone post sum good cardio exercises or send me an email pleazze I need help asap....my emai is vely103@tmail.com:dumbbell:
=============
FitnessMama
FitnessMama
Canada
2008/04/06, 11:48 AM
I completely agree. Dancing is a great way to get a cardio workout and get back into shape.

============
Quoting from sandysford:

Turn the music up and dance your heart out. Your moving and enjoying the music. Play something fast and you might even break a sweat.

=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/06, 12:50 PM
Anything that gets your heart rate up is/can be considered a cardio workout. As mentioned above, dancing is great.

My wife does this (sandysford) while cleaning house for instance, (I catch her every now and then, come home early and she doesn't know I am there), but moreso she tells me how great she feels doing this. She puts on a CD of some favorite music, and goes to town! You would be amazed at the caloric expenditure. You do not have to go to a gym.

Notice all the commercials for these different programs, they all work if you stay with them, for one reason...more caloric exertion. It does not matter if you play tennis, racketball, or swing dance. The key is finding the one you like the best, as this will make you stay with it.

Probably the absolute best is something, again it can be any of the above, but one that gets your heart rate up and down. This is a type of HIIT cardio, and has been shown time and again to be the most effective.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

laylou
laylou
United Kingdom
2008/04/26, 10:30 AM
You don't have to buy the cardio workouts these days couldn't you just download one ..
:-)