Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

CARBS???

missyh423
missyh423
United States
2007/10/29, 12:02 PM
My boyfriend and I are having a disagreement...maybe someone can help me settle this. He says that the only way to lose weight is to cut carbs (along with fat and calorie intake which I agree with). I however feel that you have to have carbs in your diet to have a balanced diet. He tells me that things like pasta and like rice krispy treats will make me fat. If I am not mistaken wouldn't you have to eat these things in large quantities in order for them to make you fat? Any insight would be great.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/29, 12:57 PM
First off it comes down to how many calories does your body burn in a day (taking workouts, etc. into account). To lose weight you have to eat less than that.

There are good fats and bad fats, avoid bad fats if possible and eat good fats (peanuts, fish, avocado, olive oil, etc.).

Low carb diets are fad diets. They work for some, but once you start eating carbs again many will regain the weight they lost. You DO NOT have to do low carb to lose weight. In fact it is better to exercise, count your calories and eat right to lose weight. It may take slightly longer but you're more likely to keep the weight off.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/10/29, 06:59 PM
My opinion on carbs when trying to lose fat is to stay away from any of the white carbs, that would include things like white bread, potatoes,unless baked,or sweet potatoes, white sugar, white rice, and throw out the rice crispy treats and don't ever eat them again! If you cut out carbs totally from your diet you will eventually not feel good.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2007/10/29, 08:02 PM
carivan, I heard that sweet potatoes are really low on the glycemix index and are loaded with fiber and nutrients. I thought they were usually recommended as a substitute for white potatoes when trying to eat healthy carbs.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/29, 09:42 PM
Low carb isn't really a fad. Some of the more extreme low carb diets are fad diets, but really, atkins was right. Carbohydrates are why this country is fat. If you think about it, eating "right" is more often than not low carb.

Now, it does come down to calories in vs calories out, but if you cut out fats your metabolism will slow, if you cut out proteins, you will burn muscle, go catabolic, and your metabolism will slow. You will end up storing fat. However, a low carb diet can often be anabolic and help speed up your metabolism vs other diets, and this increases the number of calories you are burning.

You can't live without fat, you can't live without protein, but people live normal healthy lives without carbohydrates.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/10/29, 10:07 PM
Don't be afraid of carbs. It is the type of carbs you need to be afraid of. Carivan mentioned many. rule of thumb, if it is in a nice neat package, it is probably highly processed. Stay away from most all of these except for a 'treat'.

While it is true that many live well without carbs, many cannot do so. They get brain fog, etc. You will have to experiment with this if you decide to go this route. 0 carb or very low carb is not for everyone. Will you lose weight?

Sure you will, but it is from decreased caloric intake from no carbs (again, as most of our carb intake is on the processed side which is normally high calorie) and not the carbs in and of themselves.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/10/29, 10:27 PM

============
Quoting from wasakat:

carivan, I heard that sweet potatoes are really low on the glycemix index and are loaded with fiber and nutrients. I thought they were usually recommended as a substitute for white potatoes when trying to eat healthy carbs.

=============
Isn't that what I posted?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/30, 08:31 AM
Low carb is not bad, but most people on low carb diets actually go no carb diets which isn't good either. Like we've all said stay away from the crap carbs, eat the good ones.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

Low carb isn't really a fad. Some of the more extreme low carb diets are fad diets, but really, atkins was right. Carbohydrates are why this country is fat. If you think about it, eating "right" is more often than not low carb.

Now, it does come down to calories in vs calories out, but if you cut out fats your metabolism will slow, if you cut out proteins, you will burn muscle, go catabolic, and your metabolism will slow. You will end up storing fat. However, a low carb diet can often be anabolic and help speed up your metabolism vs other diets, and this increases the number of calories you are burning.

You can't live without fat, you can't live without protein, but people live normal healthy lives without carbohydrates.

=============
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/10/30, 10:54 AM
Bingo....

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Don't be afraid of carbs. It is the type of carbs you need to be afraid of. Carivan mentioned many. rule of thumb, if it is in a nice neat package, it is probably highly processed. Stay away from most all of these except for a 'treat'.

While it is true that many live well without carbs, many cannot do so. They get brain fog, etc. You will have to experiment with this if you decide to go this route. 0 carb or very low carb is not for everyone. Will you lose weight?

Sure you will, but it is from decreased caloric intake from no carbs (again, as most of our carb intake is on the processed side which is normally high calorie) and not the carbs in and of themselves.

=============

--------------
Michael

Because the Best always train the Hardest.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/30, 03:29 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with BB1. I've never ever recommended cutting out vegetables. There are restaurants that serve a "low carb" version of their dishes that is just the regular dish without the lettuce or celery. As AC has said, it is not a lack of celery keeping the US overweight.

However, on a low carb diet, all those junk foods you would normally eat, you can't. Like I said, oftentimes, eating "clean" will be low carb. I don't care what diet you are on, the things you avoid on a low carb diet (sodas, twinkies, chocolate, etc) are things you should avoid REGARDLESS of the diet you are on.

I should also quantify, that when I say low carb, I don't mean like atkins or zone, it would probably be better for me to say "reduced" carb. Hell, my "low carb" days (I carb cycle) are still ~150-200 grams a day.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/10/30, 03:35 PM
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

There are restaurants that serve a "low carb" version of their dishes that is just the regular dish without the lettuce or celery.
============

Are you kidding me?

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/30, 06:25 PM
Nope. Dead serious.

There is a popular wing restaurant here in Rochester that does just that.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/10/30, 06:38 PM
Good Lord. Nobody ever got fat from too much celery. Jeez.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/11/04, 04:58 PM
They do get fat from celery if they have it with cheese wiz or what ever they call it!

--------------

Ivan

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/04, 06:28 PM
Celery and peanut butter! Good stuff.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/05, 12:02 AM
Should be a food group.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Celery and peanut butter! Good stuff.

=============

--------------

Mortal by birth.