Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Building endurance in thighs

allymorrison70
allymorrison70
United Kingdom
2009/04/16, 04:04 PM
I'm trying to get back in to football(soccer) but i've got no thigh muscle endurance. I was doing shuttle runs today between 5 markers, only managed 3 reps! my thighs were like jelly before i was actually tired. Any routines i can do to increase my endurance or should i carry on doing shuttle runs until i can do more? I workout my legs twice a week.
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2009/10/07, 11:47 AM
That depends. When you say you work out your legs 2x/week, does that mean with weight training, or cardio/plyometrics?

If you are pushing hard with the weights, you may be needing more recovery time. Don't do the shuttles the day of, or the day AFTER a strenuous leg weights workout.

If you are NOT using weights, than yes, more shuttles should help you increase the endurance. You may also consider plyometrics, lunge walks, leapfrogs, and similar exercises to build endurance.
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/10/08, 08:11 AM
Also look at hill repeats (i.e. running uphill for 30 seconds, walking back down to start position and running back up again). These are very good for your quads and will definitely help with sprints.