Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Body Image

jessegaw
jessegaw
Canada
2007/11/15, 09:00 PM
I've been really struggling with my body image because of the weight I've gained in the last 2 months. So I'm hiding the scale as of now and going to try thinking a little more positively. I found this list on http://www.lambtonhealth.on.ca/youth/bodyimage.asp and thought others might have want to read it. I don't know what to think of some of the ideas, but others are good.
Any other suggestions?

Remind yourself of all the things you are besides a body. "I am...caring, worthwhile, growing", etc.

Stop thinking that thinner thighs are the answer to all of life's problems. Deal with and set goals about the real issues in your life - relationships, job.

Scales belong on a fish. Try to get yourself off of the scales. Too many people allow the scale to tell them how their life is going to be - "Tell me machine, how should I feel today?"

Make a list of things you are waiting to get thin to do (wearing a belt, eating a chocolate chip cookie, buying clothes, visiting an old friend, family). Begin by doing two things per day that you would have done in the past, only if you were thinner. It may be the same things that you repeat each day for a while, then try riskier activities. Act like a person who is comfortable with her body. Watch what happens to the way you walk, interact, eat.

Give up judgments about your body. If you find yourself critical of fat thighs, counter the thought with, "the sky is blue", a neutral thought to break emotional reaction to the negative one.

Make friends with your body. You've tried wishing or hating body parts away. Try a tender message.

Get rid of all clothes that don't fit. Wearing tight clothing only stresses to yourself how "not right" your body is.

Spend five minutes daily looking at your body in a mirror - don't judge. Notice curves, length of arms, etc.

Complement yourself.

Find ways to "nourish" yourself, reward yourself other than by eating.