Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Body Fat Percentage Confusion

curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/07/04, 01:38 PM
Ok, so I hopped on the tanita body fat scales today and they came up with 12.1%. Surely this is wrong for some reason? If this were correct wouldnt I be incredibly muscular? Please correct me if im wrong, I might have things mixed up!

Also, I got on in the morning before having eaten or drunk anything, would this effect the reading so its incorrect?

curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/07/04, 01:53 PM
Also, due to my laziness and lack of button pushing motivation! I didnt enter the correct age, height, etc and cant remember whether I changed it from athletic to normal mode or not - would this make a difference.

I just let it do what it wanted so it would have said 30 years, 5'7 (i think..) do they take this into account?

I figured they just used the bia and didnt take that into account?
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/07/04, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately these scales are very unreliable, in general. They are greatly effected by your level of hydration, time of day (pre/post exercise, pre/post eating, level of fitness, monthly cycle etc)

However, that doesn't mean they are completely useless. If you weigh yourself at the same time of day (morning should be good if you're properly hydrated) then you can use the number as a basic reference point. If the number drops, then you know you're heading in the right direction.

Consider yourself lucky that it's reading low. Mine typically says that I'm 30% BF and I'm actually around 23% (based on calliper measurements) :(

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/07/04, 02:48 PM
Hiya, thanks for replying.

I kind of am worried though, 12.1% with not much muscle mass is kind of dangerous isnt it?

The body fat calculator on here says im 25%, I figure I must have done something wrong with the scale. That'll teach me to be lazy! Ill have to try it again I guess!

Yeah, I guess I dont want to seem obsessive! I'd feel a bit weird asking for a caliper test I think. I dont know whether its something thats often asked or not?

I do want a basic reference point, so if the scale is right (as can be!) it will be helpful. Reasons being that im a small framed person who would be deemed as skinny, but want to change my shape. My bmi is 20, so Im a fairly low weight so I figure im looking at composistion changing. However I need some frame of reference to know what that is! Aside from what I look like that is.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/07/04, 04:53 PM
Well...if you consider yourself skinny, then time to put on some muscle:) Make sure you get your diet in order (check out the many great posts thumbtacked in the nutrition Forum) Insure you're getting enough food on a daily basis which includes protien, healthy fats and healthy carbs at each meal and start lifting some wts. You can use the tanata BF numbers as a reference point and see how this relates to the upcoming changes in your body!

Another thing you can use to track your progress is a tape measure. measure your waist, hips, thigh, bicept etc and then measure again in 4 weeks.

Good Luck!
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/07/05, 09:18 AM
Hey I have one of those scales too. You HAVE to program it! Mine typically says 26 but I am about 20.5. It is a good ref point tho. You need to keep track of the hydration level it gives also make sure you are weighing first thing in the morning before you do eat.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/07/09, 05:53 PM
Hey again!

So I programmed it right this time! It says 15.6% which sounds more like it. I would have thought it would have been more though. Im working on the muscle! Ive been doing my plan for about 6 weeks now, and can see a difference, Im not sure theres much of one though! Im taking the advice on here to help me reach my goals also.

Im not sure what a good body fat percentage is though to be honest? Anyone shed any light?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/10, 09:46 AM
For women between 15 and 185 is very fit, 19-25 average, 25-30 getting towards obese, over 30 obese.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/07/15, 12:00 PM
Wow thankyou once again, youre all so helpful on here!

So im pretty chuffed at my 15.6% then!

Dunno how correct it is though, I want a caliper thing done now!