Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Black Hair Products

AnitaLaMorenita
AnitaLaMorenita
United States
2007/12/30, 12:30 AM
I really want my hair to grow longer, its not really short, it's a little above my shoulder. Right now I'm using the Doo Gro Mega Thick Formula on my hair to make it thicker. I don't really see any growth using this product, maybe I just need to use it for a longer period of time. I really need some help, should I use another product?
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/02, 12:44 PM
Anita, there is no special formula to make your hair grow longer. I was able to get my hair to grow about 9 inches this year and it has gotten thicker. I'm not a cosmetologist, so the following may not be founded by professionals, but it worked for me! I did the following:
1. VITAMINS!!! Including multi-vitamin and Omega 3 oil capsules
2. Lots and lots of water and a healthy diet
3. I shower twice a day, once before work, once in the evening after working out. The second time that I shower I only use a little conditioner on my hair, no shampoo. It's too harsh to use twice a day. Some people only shampoo once every other day which is good too, personally my hair gets too oily. I also use a leave in conditioner on the ends of my hair, not the roots, again, too oily.
4. Sleep with a satin night cap or a satin pillow case. The night cap looks dorky, but helps keep your hair from breaking in the middle of the night as you toss and turn on the pillow.
5. Weekly deep conditioning. I do this on saturdays. I put a deep conditioner on my hair and will put a shower cap over it and leave it on for 30-45 minutes or so.
6. Try to avoid heat styling tools. I stopped using my hair dryer and curling iron. I now use the huge velco rollers for body. I just do a quick blast with the hair dryer on a cold setting so my hair is damp, but not wet. I then roll it all in the rollers. It takes an hour or so to dry then I unroll the rollers (don't pull) and my hair has a nice flowy bounce without the help of heat aids.

Although the tips 3-6 will help your hair avoid breakage and will help it stay healthy as it grows, the only thing that's going to make your hair grow and be thick is #1 and #2. Hair growth comes from the inside. In addition, you are pretty much pre-programmed for hair growth. If your hair grows slow, not much you can do.
Good luck and be patient. On average hair only grows about 1/2 inch per month (6 inches per year).
If you are in a bind and really want long hair fast (like to go out or something), I have used the Jessica Simpson clip in extensions. They worked really well and looked pretty natural.
Dang. Now that I typed all this now I see that you are looking for something for black hair. I'm sorry. Well, maybe some of this will help you and if not, I'm not deleting my work, maybe someone else will find it helpful. ha ha.