Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Big girl needs advice

cuteygurl
cuteygurl
United States
2004/11/02, 04:42 PM
Hi, I new to the board. My name is Kristen and I'm 18 years old. I have alwyas been a chubby kid but over the past couple of years, I have gotten a lot heavier. I am 5'2" 243 lbs so I'm pretty big right now. I plan to start trying to lose some weight after the new year. I really want to graduate a slim girl (I'm a freshman this year). I am not very athletic so I really don't want to excercise a lot but I know I will have to some to lose weight. My goal wieght is 115 lbs. I want to know of anyone's recommendations on a good diet (low carb, fat, protien,etc.). I am kinda confused and just wondering if anyone had some good advice for me. Thanks!
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/11/02, 04:46 PM
Hey there Kristen. Here's my advice to you as a 5ft 3er @ 235lbs (we are pretty similar) Try to start walking more, and if you can get to some weights liftas often as you can. More muscle means less fat, and an easier time losing weight. Also, shoot for a balanced diet, one that has healthy carbs (whole grains, brown rice, veggies and fruit),protien (chicken, fish, lean beef and pork) and a small amount of fats. Cut out soda, and try to drink as much water as you can. You should start seeing some results. Good luck!!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/03, 11:29 AM
Hey, cuteygurl, whatcha waitin' for?! You said you plan to start losing weight after the new year? How about you set some smaller goals for you right now, like those that CristalBelle mentioned above? Pick one a week and work on that! Just think by the new year you will have already implemented some goals! You can do it! Just knock out some things, add some others! Being successful is doing what works for you and each story is different, but if you want to be successful you can start NOW, little steps can bring great results!! Great to have you here on FT!!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
cuteygurl
cuteygurl
United States
2004/11/03, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your help. I am trying to cut down on soda and the fast food. Those are two reasons why I have gotten so heavy. I have already started to cut back on some of the junk food and I am walking more. I just want to get some good advice on what diet to use. Like the southbeach or Atkins. Itis hard for me to lose weight b/c I have had a tendency to gain weight easily (my mom's side of the family has weight problems). It's alo hard b/c the whole college thing...living away from home, hard to eat healthy, etc. Even if I just lost some weight but shaped up, I would be happy b/c my doctor said I needed to take better care of myself. Guess I'm rambling but I'll try to start making some of these changes. Thanks again!
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/11/03, 03:01 PM
You don't need to look for a specific "diet" to help you lose weight. You need to make a lifestyle change and eat healthy and nutritious foods. Go to the specific diets and nutrition forum and check out the grocery list for a body builder post (it has a little sticky next to it) Try to eat as much of those foods as possible, and you should notice some big changes.
cuteygurl
cuteygurl
United States
2004/11/12, 11:14 AM
Well....I started my excercise plan today. I found a suitemate who has some weight to lose and we started walking 1 mile 3 days/week. I'm really sore afterwards but it is getting better as I walk more often. I am trying to eat some of the stuff on the list and cutting back on the soda. Hope it helps. I talked to my mom and she said she'd send me money to get some new clothes if I lost weight so i guess I'm all set! My weight is 243.4 lbs w/ a body fat % of about 55%. Guess I'll update you all if I see some results.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/11/12, 01:00 PM
1st drink water, I lost about 2 3 lbs just cause I wasn't drinking enough water and my body was storing it.
2nd NO FAST FOOD theres very few places that are "healthy" even chicken sandwiches have alot of fat in them, cause they are usually somthered in some kind of lard.
3rd cokes have about 100-200 calories per 8oz, time that by 10 or more a day, theres abotu at least 100calories there of just suger, get that out.
4th don't eat high carby, fatening foods after more than 2- 3 hours before bed. I usualy got ot bed at 9, I don't eat any carbs after 6 or 7. Of corase mygaols are different than yours.

If I can find the diet I used I will give it to ya. I lost about 40lbs in about 4 5 months time. iTs a modified atkins, with some vegitable carbs.

--------------
GO into battle as if was your last, cause thats the only one you loose!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/11/12, 01:08 PM
BREAKFAST:
1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice.
2 Eggs any style
2 Slices of bacon
Black coffee or tea, no sugar

LUNCH:
Salad and or raw veggies (any dressing, not low fat or fat free)
Meat (Cooked any way)

DINNER:
Meat (cooked any way) Vegetables (any green or red, may be cooked in butter or Seasoning or a salad as above) Black coffee or tea, no sugar

BEDTIME:
(opt) 8oz Tomato juice or skim milk

this is what I did few years back, worked very well. On the 13th and 14th day, that week end you can eat whatever you like. No hold bars. It only shows 4 "meals" or whatever, but at any time you can have veggies or any kinda of meat.
Just no starches or refined sugers are mainly what is "cut" out. However the meals shown, you need to eat like the way it says. And I leanred alot on it, I didn't need cokes, or cookies, and I slowly introduced carbs back into my life style, wheat breads, sweet taters, yams all sorts of stuff. Give it a try, I liked the results

--------------
GO into battle as if was your last, cause thats the only one you loose!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/16, 10:06 AM
Sounds like you are off to a great start!! Take those baby steps and before you know it you will be leaping from the mountain tops!!!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
philpayne
philpayne
United States
2006/03/13, 12:09 AM
what I've found to work is to have your big meal at lunch time if possible (before 2pm) because it gives your body more time to diguest the food. You're internal clock that tells you when to sleep and when to be awake starts to slow down after 2pm (when the sun sets) so if you're eating the big dinner at 7 or 8pm that means your 5 or 6 hours into being tired. Thats my change :) and its helped me out alot.

if you need more info just find me on aol
sidvil
cuteygurl
cuteygurl
United States
2006/05/16, 10:52 AM
Hey guys,

Been awhile since I got on here but I was just online and remembered this site. Thanks for the advice guys! Since I began here (Nov 04) I lost 30 lbs but have managed to gain back 23 of it:( I am still walking and trying to move more but my eating is the problem. I just wish I had time to cook (or knew how) so I could eat healthier. I am still trying to cut out the sodas and drinking...lol. Stress from school just gets to me and before I know it, I am eating junky again. I am going to try the big lunch thing like philpayne said. I am hoping that will help me some. Thanks again guys!

~Kristen~
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/05/16, 11:24 AM
COUNT YOUR CALORIES! THat is what will work go online and or just write down everyting.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/05/16, 12:26 PM
How are you doing with the counting mutt? It's shocking when you see how little 2500 actually is isn't it? Continued good luck big guy.

--------------
Days go by and life drags on.....
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/05/16, 12:57 PM
Acutally I found that while I am a bit hungry during my workout I am not as bad off as I thought

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com