Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Asians?

DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2004/12/18, 10:44 PM
Is it true that Agains have a very high metabolism? If so why them and not others?

DX
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/19, 09:21 AM
what makes you think they do?

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

xxrajxx
xxrajxx
United Kingdom
2004/12/20, 06:15 AM
I think its wrong to generalise like this,
Everybody is different,
I am asian and I know my metabolism Sucks at the mo (working progress) but my brother eats like a pig and has no fat on his body....
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/12/20, 07:20 AM
Interesting question.

DX if you do an internet search about metabolism and ethnicity, you will find tons of studies available addressing everything from glucose to prescription drug metabolism. This is not my area of study but I'm going to guess that differences found are more likely a result of cultural (diet and lifestyle) rather than ethnic differences. You might also search for information regarding genetics and metabolism. I'm certain that if you do some extensive research you will find what you are looking for.

--------------
Anni

Does my ass make these pants look big?
2004/12/20, 07:43 AM
anni I think you are right

asian cultures have vastly different eating variation...with main staple consisting of rice, lots of vegetables, fish...also I don't see as many 'americanized' asians at junk food places when I am there....

Also living in san francisco with large asian population...I have noticed that asians are generally more active....than their white counterparts...often doing tai chi, yoga, or walking and that's just the older population...
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2004/12/20, 02:57 PM
well I didn't mean to insult anyone by this question, I was just wondering. All of the Asians that I know are all skinny. Somebody told me that they had a really high metabolism and I just wanted to know why.

DX
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/12/20, 03:36 PM
DX I don't believe you need to apologize, your question was a good one. Unfortunately, it's also a question for which we have no answer at this time.

--------------
Anni

Does my ass make these pants look big?
xxrajxx
xxrajxx
United Kingdom
2004/12/21, 04:48 AM
DX you obviously don't come to my "hood" :big_smile:
Having said that, you do struggle to find a fat "far east" person, unless the are sumo fighters :big_smile:
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/26, 08:08 PM
also asians for the most part unless "americanized" most of their meals they cook at home and sit at a table as a family and eat. For the most part, home cooked meals they cook are fairly good for you.Lots protein and veggies. The rice "blows" up in thier stomach which makes them feel fuller.

Americans are all about fast food for the most part, and have more "tempations" of bad stuff to eat. Glutty is one of the things americans are known for, I men how many times you got somthing to eat cause you were bored?

Mostly i'd say environmental factors.

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2005/01/03, 02:56 PM
The word americanised is often associated with brainwashed, I think more appropriate word is asian-american. You dont look at a black man and say americanised, its afro-american. If a person has been in the country all their life its not a matter of being americanised, its just a matter of being american.

Back to topic, its all down to diet. I know a chinese guy who owned a fish & chips shop, fat. It could be down to ethinicity too as weight/metabolism like height could be carried through genes. With height, if the past 5generations in your family has been short, more than likely you will too, same goes for weight I think. Dif is weight can be altered.
samthcat
samthcat
United States
2008/02/08, 07:21 AM

This is all not necessarily true.

DX has a point in that Asians do seem to metabolize much better than western Europeans definitely. Sure it is a generalization but generalizations would not exist if a significant proportion of the population did not fit into that generalization.

Three of my best friends are Asian. Two are Vietnamese and one is Chinese and I can tell you that they eat well over the recommended 2000 calories a day and are bone thin. They talk about the fact that no one in their family seems to gain significant amounts of weight no matter what they eat. A bunch of us thought it would be an interesting experiment to eat exactly the same thing for two months to see what happened. I normally do not eat rich desserts but they enjoy them after every dinner and sometimes even after lunch. At the end of our experiment, they had gained nothing, but the three of us who are of northern/western european discent had gained between 8 and 20 pounds.

I am not sure why this is. I know that there was a report that many Asian Americans who are beginning to eat McDonalds are gaining weight but the percentage is so insignificant it is hardly worth mentioning.

I wish we knew so we could get some of whatever they have! LOL

Sam
============
Quoting from bigandrew:

also asians for the most part unless "americanized" most of their meals they cook at home and sit at a table as a family and eat. For the most part, home cooked meals they cook are fairly good for you.Lots protein and veggies. The rice "blows" up in thier stomach which makes them feel fuller.

Americans are all about fast food for the most part, and have more "tempations" of bad stuff to eat. Glutty is one of the things americans are known for, I men how many times you got somthing to eat cause you were bored?

Mostly i'd say environmental factors.

=============
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/02/08, 08:35 AM
I pretty sure there is science behind some of this, but don't remember were to find it. I don't think it is that Asian people have a higher metabolize as much as they have a MUCH higher tolerance to carbs. To Americans that would look like they have a higher metabolize.