Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

any ideas to why i can't lose weight??

krista09
krista09
United Kingdom
2009/03/12, 06:11 AM
Hi, i'm new here. I've read a few inspiring posts on here already and they make sense :-)
My problem is i just can't seem to shift ANY weight....I've done weight watchers and lost absolutely nothing, not even a pound, in 16 weeks. I'm very active, i walk a lot and go to the gym 5 days a week where i will not leave until i have burned between 800 and 1200 cals off and still i have not lost a single pound!! I work to my maximum and try not to lift many weights as i don't want to bulk up. The dietician told me that if i burn off 500 cals a day that equals 1lb a week....well i want to know where mine is then, cos i'm not seeing it.
I have always eaten healthily, i cook from scratch, don't eat frozen, packet or jar foods and don't eat much junk food at all and i never eat out. My portion sizes are possibly a little small and after looking at slimming groups menu plans i know i don't eat as much as they want me to but i just can't get my head around the fact that eating LOADS of food when i'm not actually hungry will make me lose weight, even though i do understand the psychology behind it. How can my body be in starvation mode when i don't feel hungry??
I've been tested for thyroid, insulin resistance and diabetes and all come back negative. I have low cholesterol and normal bloodpressure.

I'm starting to despair because i just don't get it. Yesterday i was with the nurse and i told her all i do and she just gave me the usual unbelieving looks that health professionals give me(grrr) It's SO frustrating.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem or have any ideas what might be going on???
Deb2009
Deb2009
Canada
2009/03/12, 10:32 AM
Hi Krista09
I am new to this site as well. I joined 2 weeks ago. I have started giving my diet a good overview. I record and add up everything I eat. I work out every other day. Which is that I work out one week on Mon.,Wed.then Fri & play soccer on Sundays. The next week I work out Tue., Thur. & nothing on Saturday and play soccer on Sunday. I have taken the weight lose calorie count of current weight then multiply it by 7.. that is my calorie intake goal. I don't NOT eat anything, rather I reduce my portions. So far I have lost one pound!! I also am frustrated with the "formulas" not working for me. My workouts are primarily weight lifting with cardio inter mingled. I checked with my Dr yesterday and I was told that I was doing everything right & I should be seeing results soon.
I am with you in this frustration. I will be watching on this post to see if any thing is suggested... Hang in there.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/12, 12:49 PM
You may well be burning too many calories and not eating enough. That could make your body go into "starvation mode" where it actually wants to hoard calories. Like Deb2009 suggests, make a journal of the calories you are taking in, and be mindful of the actual portions sizes.
And you should be strength training with weights because it improves your lean muscle mass and burns a lot more calories than you think. There's a common misconception that if you lift weights you "bulk-up". You only bulk up if you eat tons of calories and lift heavy. If you are in a caloric deficit every day, there's no calories left to make muscle out of.
Usually when women first start into fitness they are "slow gainers", but stick with it. It took my wife 6 weeks to start seeing results, but after that it was like a little light turned on and she did really well after that.
============
Quoting from krista09:

Hi, i'm new here. I've read a few inspiring posts on here already and they make sense :-)
My problem is i just can't seem to shift ANY weight....I've done weight watchers and lost absolutely nothing, not even a pound, in 16 weeks. I'm very active, i walk a lot and go to the gym 5 days a week where i will not leave until i have burned between 800 and 1200 cals off and still i have not lost a single pound!! I work to my maximum and try not to lift many weights as i don't want to bulk up. The dietician told me that if i burn off 500 cals a day that equals 1lb a week....well i want to know where mine is then, cos i'm not seeing it.
I have always eaten healthily, i cook from scratch, don't eat frozen, packet or jar foods and don't eat much junk food at all and i never eat out. My portion sizes are possibly a little small and after looking at slimming groups menu plans i know i don't eat as much as they want me to but i just can't get my head around the fact that eating LOADS of food when i'm not actually hungry will make me lose weight, even though i do understand the psychology behind it. How can my body be in starvation mode when i don't feel hungry??
I've been tested for thyroid, insulin resistance and diabetes and all come back negative. I have low cholesterol and normal bloodpressure.

I'm starting to despair because i just don't get it. Yesterday i was with the nurse and i told her all i do and she just gave me the usual unbelieving looks that health professionals give me(grrr) It's SO frustrating.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem or have any ideas what might be going on???
=============
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/12, 12:52 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention that your calorie needs are based on your body weight and daily activity. Try using the guideline of 10 calories per pound of body weight, per day in calories.
krista09
krista09
United Kingdom
2009/03/17, 03:43 AM
thanks for the replies and the info....so working out my calorie intake from the above info i should be taking 2200 calories?? I weigh just under 16st. Would this be to lose weight or to maintain??
I have now been referred to the dietician by the doctor and also referred to have a program done for me at the gym. It will be interesting to see if any results are acheved this way but as the list is long i will take the advice given above and carry on with my own gym routine and see if it brings any results.
Do you have any suggestions based on my calorie intake how many calories i shhould be aiming to burn? Or should i add on calories depending on how many calories i burn?? (hope that makes sense lol)
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/17, 10:54 AM
Use 2200 as your baseline, and try to hit a deficit of 500 calories a day with a combination of both exercise and dietary cuts. Just don't restrict your calories to the point of 1000 calories or less. Your body would most likely go into "starvation mode" and do the opposite of losing weight.
krista09
krista09
United Kingdom
2009/03/18, 01:34 PM
ok, thanks, that makes sense :-) I'll give that a go and see how i get on.