Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

..a/b PL squating safty

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/08/29, 10:48 PM
On Youtube I see alot of horrid squat accidents, peopel getting crushed under weight, breaking knees, ancles etc.

I'm curious...why is their no "catch" appratus(sp) during squats? Like in a cage? The monolifts and other racks don't have these...Is there a reason why a 1-2in steal catch can't be put out...to catch the weight if a lift fails?

In high school are squat racks had these and depth could still be judged just fine....

If a uniform thing could be rigged up taller and shorter people could just pull the bar and move it up or down in like 2 secs. I don't see why the lifter and spotter must be put in a postion with 700+lbs on their back...and have no safty catch besides a few guys?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
2007/08/30, 08:32 AM
All of the squat cages in my gym have adjustabe bars on each side that can be moved up and down to numerous heights. Is that what you mean? If so they are out there and that is all we have.

--------------
Those who want tolerance must be tolerant to intolerance.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/08/30, 08:37 AM
Our squat racks have pins that can act as both a safety catch as well as a platform (to do shrugs off of....or curls if you so wish, lol).
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/30, 06:09 PM
Ever try to run a powerlifting meet??? The reason you see so many more Push/Pull meets than full meets, is because it is very difficult to conduct a full meet. Most of the time, they are done in gymnasiums, and it's just not possible to have a full cage/monolift brought in. USAPL standard is a pair of uprights.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/08/30, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijq0pde84HE

notice when they squat..besides a few spotters..no catch...why cant' powerlifting have some sort of steal catch...this could save somone legs, back etc.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/08/30, 01:55 PM
I mean in powerlifting comps...if you look aroundon Youtube...most have no "catch" it either a monolift...or just a rack.

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/08/30, 09:36 PM
Never thought of that..

But a small ladder like device...w/ a triangler supports could be moved really easy..and save a leg.

--------------

2007/08/31, 09:33 AM
what about saw horses for safety mechanism?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/08/31, 05:40 PM
Yeah somthing like that was what I was trying to describe. But have them made of metal...and different heights..for different heighted people.

--------------

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/09/05, 10:51 AM
I don't care how "hard" it is to run a meet- this should be a standard in my opinion, with no question in my mind.

Saving a broken neck, arm, back, or someone's life sounds like a pretty legit reason for USAPL or whoever else to try finding a solution. Andrew and Leo already came up with a couple.

Come on!

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/05, 04:27 PM
Well then you three should take over the IPF.

It's been going on for years, and I've yet to hear of preventable accident yet. I'm pretty confident having 5 spotters surrounding me, more so than I'd be with a power rack, which would get in the way of the spotters whose job is my safety. Believe it or not, there are reasons. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to compete.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/05, 04:35 PM
Heaviest squat most of us will see will be a grand. I hope to witness a convicted murderer do this in my next meet. You drop a grand from the back of someone 6'6", no way are the safety catches stopping that. In fact, when they bend, chances are they will pin the bar in whatever position it decides to stop in.

Most of the accidents don't happen in the hole, they happen at the top. An ankle snaps, the weight slips... the lifter is relatively safe once they begin their descent. However, in the top position, no safety catch is going to stop a 1000lb bar from doing what it does best.

However, take a grand squat, divide it by up to 3 side spotters per side and one back squatter, and that's only 142lbs each guy, not including the lifter, has to catch. Even at 5 guys that's only 200lbs each, which should be nothing for someone that volunteers as a spotter.

I'll take my chances with the spotters.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/09/05, 05:02 PM
yeah...you should have seen the spotter at the meet jared, james and I went to. They were really bad. During the lightweights, one kid had the bar right on his neck because because one of the spotters missed. It wasn't bad. It just touched he neck, but I would have been a little scared after that. The judges yelled at the spotter a few times during meet. If you look at my videos, the spotters were causing the bar to tilt in one direction when I was try to rack the weight. Not detrimentally, but annoying none the less.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/05, 08:46 PM
I'm curious how a rack gets in the way of spotters..if you don't get the weight...you drop it..DUH?

I don't buy the " well 1000lbs being droped from a guy over 6'6..blah blah catch won't do much"

If they can engineer a 7ft long bar..that's no more than 2-3in in diameter...that CAN HOLD 1000lbs. Then they can come up with somthing IMO

Maybe they should stop with all the funding in making the best 2 and 3 ply suits...and do somthing about the lifters safty instead.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/05, 09:39 PM
the 7 foot long bar isn't designed for impact. You don't have to be an engineer to understand the concept of momentum. But, while I'm paying 40k for the degree anyways...

m1*v1 = m2v2
v(f)^2 = v(i)^2 +.5ad

Solving for 1 meter of travel, we get a velocity of 5m/s.
That gives us a force of 2272kgs, or 5000 lbs.

Besides that, try side spotting someone next time they are squatting, and tell me the rack doesn't get in the way.

Like I said, if you can do so much better, take over the IPF.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/05, 11:07 PM
And you think 5 guys can catch and slow down 5000lbs?

I've seen alot of tragic vids none ever feel more than a few inches. It's not like a O lifter and they just drop the bar when they are done.

Ones I've seen somthing goes wrong in lift, he doesn't walk out and it slids off his back 6 ft plus in air. IN the lift somthing happends..and he tries to get rid of it...fall back forward etc.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/06, 12:23 AM
5 guys can stop it before it has moved a meter. yes, it will move, but still.

Again, there are people that have spent their LIVES figuring this stuff out. They do occasionally make mistakes, but I had the pleasure of spending a few hours talking to the NYS USAPL chair and representative to the IPF, who explained the decision making process with regards to rules and regulations. It's not like you've thought of something they haven't.

If it upsets you that much, don't compete.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/06, 12:40 PM
Doesn't upset me...I still plan on competing. I just thought with technology today somthing could be done.

But I honestly never thought about how hard it would be to set up a full cage.

--------------

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/09/07, 12:27 AM
I still think something could and should be done...If you got guys squatting 1000 pounds, there's no freakin reason why somethin can't be rigged up to make it a safer lift other than people standing around.

I would DAAARREE say that if I was so "fortunate" to run the IPF, I WOULD have done something by now, so long as funds were sufficient. I understand that money is likely a problem, since they probly don't exactly make tons of money.

Noone got upset. In fact, I don't compete or care- to me it's a no brainer. Bottom line is, I don't know the funding and actual business situations, but given technology today, if the IPF had enough funds, something could be rigged up EASILY.

I don't even see how this can be argued?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/07, 02:52 AM
If you don't see how this can be argued, then you are obviously missing many rather important points.

People argue this all the time. Safety equipment is one of the most commonly voted on issues in the IPF. It comes down to the fact that spotters are safer than anything else that can be implemented.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/09/07, 10:19 AM
I think spotters are great because of reaction time and helping slow down the weight sooner as it's going down, and obviously go a long ways in injury prevention. I am just arguing that there should be (if financially possible) some kind of apparatus that backs up in case the spotters, which are human, and can (as you see on the video) fail.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi