Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

23 - overweight and need help.

Layla-au
Layla-au
Australia
2007/10/29, 08:34 AM
I'm 23 and overweight. I do not currently know my actual weight as I am completely terrified of even getting near a scale. I'm an Australian size 22-24. Last time I weight myself I had 150kg.
I desperately want to loose weight and my parents criticize me constantly on my weight which makes me feel even worse.
I feel all alone I honestly do not have any friends I can turn to as I feel everyone is running away from me. No I'm not a monster or a bad person. I am eastern European and all Eastern Euro's are extremely slim and if your not slim you do not fit in, they think your not worth their time.
They judge a book by its cover. I wont be judgemental and say all are the same because that is not true.
I just wish I had some support.

I do want to loose weight and I get motivated and then things happen which makes me turn back to food. Main problem is Coke. I love coke and I don't know how to stop drinking it. Was on the Sure Slim diet and failed miserably. Lost around 10 kg and then things started happening in my life that made me turn back to junk food.
Since then Ive been too ashamed to even mention extercise or gym or a diet because I am scared I will fail again and then my family will make fun of me again.

My mother says " loose some weight" and I think to myself "OK but thats not as easy as you say it". People think that loosing weight is so easy and that it can just happen they don't realize that it takes time and emotions and certainly effort. I just need a plan or some opinions on how to get through all of this and start loosing weight. Not because I want to be skinny but because I want to be able to walk through a shopping center and not be stared at in a weird way. I want to be able to go for a walk without loosing breath and being able to stand and wash my dishes without my back hurting or legs.
I just want the simple things in life.
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/29, 09:11 AM
I've never beem that heavy, so I don't know what it is like to be that addicted to food.
Maybe you could do a simple switch like I did? Instead of potatoes and fries and crisps you have carrots and apples. Instead of candy, you have nuts. Instead of pasta, you have beans or cabbage. They say a smaller plate is good too, but if you have a lot of sallad you'll need the bigger plate for all the greens.
The Coke... well I don't like diet varieties, but that could be an option for the time being.

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
Layla-au
Layla-au
Australia
2007/10/29, 10:24 AM
Ummm, I never said I was addicted to food. I actually don't eat much at all. My problem is that I eat junk food. I get full from a Regular Whopper with chips.And AU burgers are smaller than US. So it's not the portions of the food It's the food I am eating.

Not so much that I like food, it's the fact that If I get depressed I turn to chocolate, and Coke.

immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/10/29, 10:45 AM
I know where you're coming from, and can offer you some advice, though the core changes have to come from inside yourself. It's all in finding the strength to manifest externally who you really are internally, and learning what it takes to do so.

The emotional crutch food can play is something few can truly understand unless they've lived it, and believe me I have (and do).

Getting over the fear of what others think is the first emotional step, the changes have to be for you, not them, for what you want out of life, not for what they want for you...

The steps are fairly simple with some education. It really is a learning process that takes years, but the journey is frought with benefits in terms of health and fat loss if you can stick to it. There's nothing that will change you over night, it will take time to reach your goals.

The first resolution you can take is to NOT drink Coke EVER again. That should be your first commitment and one you can anchor your will on and have as your first hard choice to begin your journey.

If you like, feel free to message me and I'll be happy to discuss things further with you, there really is no way to one-post it.

--------------
DEFENSE! - Bas Rutten
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/11/01, 08:03 AM
Junk food is addictive, so is Coke. If you don't eat much, and you eat junk, then I guess your metabolism is pretty screwed up. Junk is always junk, that's why I suggested the switch. Here in Sweden MacDonalds have had sallad and carrots and so on as an alternative to fries for several years, before I even heard Jay Leno mention it. I know that US food is usually enormous with extra on the side, but I wasn't thinking about the specific size of a burger, just the way you choose to eat it. The burger with no bun and sallad and carrots, is a lot healthier than a regular one. You might not be ready to cook your own food, but whenever you feel the urge to grab some junk, have an apple instead. It is almost all in the mind. The mind likes the rush of quick carbs and bad fat, that is why it is so hard to quit.
Then you need the exercise as well. Start with something at home using rubber bands or a set of dumbells. You can even do it in your own room if you don't want your family to look at you. I don't know what the rest of your family eats at home, but for the change to really work, the whole family has to be in on it.

--------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
Ablundon
Ablundon
United States
2008/01/09, 12:24 PM
Hey, I'm not sure if you are still looking for advice, or if you'd be interested in being my "buddy" when it comes to weight loss. Let me know.