Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

15 year old can't add pounds? Help!!

Brad6260
Brad6260
United States
2010/02/04, 08:29 PM
Hi. I have a strong background with sports nutrition but am stumped as to why my son is not putting on weight despite a very defined diet and exercise program. he is 15, 5'9 160lbs. Very strong,large frame. He blew through puberty at 13 very fast. He loves to weight train and does 20-30 min of cardio 3 x week. We are a very health conscience family and maintain a very healthy diet. here's the mystery? We bumped my son up to 5500 calories a day three months ago when he was gaining no weight at 3000 calories/day and he has only gained about three pounds. He's getting tons of good quality protein, high carbs and more than enough efa's. I do not believe in teens getting into the supplement game and his diet is high quality good natural foods. Lean meat,Nuts,Pastas, fruits and veggies. We do high calorie shakes as well. He trains about 1 hour a day and rotates the muscle groups. He's not lifting heavy weight and again his cardio is good but not so much to be burning off a ton of calories. Fluid intake is so, so and were working on that. gets plenty of rest. I can't fathom why he is not adding the weight he needs for football.
Any suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks