Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Embarrassed by my unfitness

katysue02
katysue02
United States
2009/11/15, 11:34 AM
Hello! I'm new to this site, and I have a problem.

I'm embarrassingly unfit. In the past year, I've felt really unhealthy. My cardiovascular endurance sucks. Two years ago I was running 10k's easily. But now I can't run a mile without huffing and puffing.

I did a standard 3-minute step test. At the end I checked my heart rate with my HR monitor. 150 BPM. According to the chart, 120-130 is "poor," and anything higher than that is awful. Also, when I try to run, my HR quickly gets into the upper 170's/low 180's.

I am 5'7", 163 lb (25.5 BMI). I eat healthy, and I'm actually pretty strong, doing pushups from my toes and such.

So my question is, how do I increase my endurance when I'm so unfit?? My immediate fitness goal is to get into the "poor" category. :(
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/15, 03:37 PM
We are all in the same boat and that is why we are here. Don't feel bad, and dont be embarressed. Start off slow and your numbers will change. You will see reults on a weekly basis. Eventually you will have to increase your endurance (as you know) to get the HR up.
Good luck and keep us posted with your success.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)