Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Home weight training

leemol
leemol
United Kingdom
2009/05/06, 12:11 PM
Hi all

I have signed up new today and am planning to do a beginners home program as I don't have access to a gym. I am 5'7'' and weight 160lbs (female). My target is 145lbs and I'm planning to clean up my diet.
I'm really interested in the idea of weight training (combined with cardio) to build lean muscle mass and therefore keep metabolism up. I've read a fair bit about it and progression seems to be the key. What are peoples' opinions on whether or not you can develop a successful weight training program at home without access to free weights/machines using just body weight. It seems to me you could only increase reps and not weight (in fact hopefully weight would going down anyway!). I'm emigrating to Australia in a few months so don't want to buy any gym equipment for home and can't afford a gym membership at present.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved.
Thanks
Lee
howlandplace
howlandplace
United States
2009/05/06, 02:07 PM
Well there's no reason why you have to JUST use your body weight. You can use lots and lots of everyday items in your home workout. Just because you don't have "authentic" dumbells (for example) doesn't mean you can't do bicep curls with full gallons of water.

And that's just one item, anything that has some weight to it can be used to help you train.
kbultreras1
kbultreras1
United States
2009/05/06, 03:51 PM
I am also doing the home training. In your fitness profile it will show u what to do (what items u can use) for example...putting a broom stick between 2 chairs for the pulls ups. Also using 16oz cans (food) for the curls, etc. There are many ways to work out at home, you just haev to be creative..alo like i said the exercise examples in your fitness program give u ideas on what to use.
leemol
leemol
United Kingdom
2009/05/06, 03:56 PM
Oh that's cool. Thank you so much for replies. I'm starting tomorrow (as I mean to go on!), so will be guided by the fitness profile instruction. I'm going to start running too so I can fully take advantage of the outdoor lifestyle when we get to Aus!

Thanks for the advice.