Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Terribly obese, and confused about diet

ygvalentine
ygvalentine
United States
2009/05/04, 12:53 PM
Hi there! I just started this because I don't have the money to do nutrisystem or jennycraig or even weightwatchers!
I just filled out the nutrition profile and it told me that I need 4000+ calories daily!! Huh?!! I don't know if I can even eat that amount of food.. Can someone help me out and just tell me a basic food plan in portion sizes... eg. 4oz of lean protein, 1cup of lettuce, etc. I don't need specific menus but a food group type of menu, know what I mean? I am really desperate to lose the weight, but I know I can't do it on my own!!
Relique
Relique
United States
2009/05/05, 01:58 PM
My wife and I have struggled with weight loss for quite some time, and there are a few things we have learned about these guides.

They are just that, guidelines. One of the key factors to do is monitor your diet, write it down. You will be supprised to find that you eat a lot more than you think! Being honest with yourself, knowing when you are eating multiple portions can be an issue as well, because sometimes those lables will tell you that there are 2+ servings in a single sit down meal. Also make sure to eat 5+ little meals a day, that helped me out a lot. It is also cheeper since you can't get a "small" meal anywheres, so you can save the fast food money and all that.

Along with the eating, don't forget to exercise! I understand that you are broke, lol like most of us out here today! Going for long walks, bike rides, just doing some yard work and cleaning the house can burn some major calories and will make you feel better! Get creative, you might be able to find something to do that is both physical and can make/save you a few bux, like tending to a vegitable/spice garden. Before you know it, you will be a completely different person!

Once you know what you are eating, how much, and have gained the dicipline to just eat what you need to and exercise; if you are still not loosing weight, consult a medical professional and find out if you have an issue such as a thyroid problem.

--------------
Sean "TBAR" Johnson -USAF-
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/06, 11:33 AM
Man we gotta do something about the calorie estimator on this site. It's seriously broken. The estimate is based on your body weight, which is usually fine, but if you're carrying a lot of extra weight it's very wrong.
My suggestion for you is to shoot for about 2000-2300 calories a day in conjunction with some form of exercise. Walking, swimming. Also if you google "body weight exercises" you'll find a bunch of different movements for your muscle groups which require no equipment. You should see a pretty good reduction in your weight for the next several months at that pace. Eventually when you get leaner, you'll be wanting to take in about 10 calories per pound of weight per day for weight loss, but right now that's not the case.

============
Quoting from ygvalentine:

Hi there! I just started this because I don't have the money to do nutrisystem or jennycraig or even weightwatchers!
I just filled out the nutrition profile and it told me that I need 4000+ calories daily!! Huh?!! I don't know if I can even eat that amount of food.. Can someone help me out and just tell me a basic food plan in portion sizes... eg. 4oz of lean protein, 1cup of lettuce, etc. I don't need specific menus but a food group type of menu, know what I mean? I am really desperate to lose the weight, but I know I can't do it on my own!!
=============