Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

cardio and heat

2009/04/24, 04:40 PM
Do you burn more calories in hotter weather?

I walk between 3 miles after lifting and 5 miles on days that I don't lift. My times are between 14 and 15 minutes per mile or at least they were before the heat shot up in the 90s. I'm about a minute per mile slower on average per mile. I just can't keep my old pace in the heat. What effect does this have on my calorie burn rate?

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2009/04/24, 08:20 PM
You burn fewer calories when you exercise in cold weather than you do when it's hot. The hotter it is, the more extra work your heart has to do to prevent you from overheating. More than 70 percent of the energy produced by your muscles during exercise is lost as heat. So the harder you exercise, the hotter your muscles become. In hot weather, not only must your heart pump extra blood to bring oxygen to your muscles, it must also pump hot blood from your heated muscles to your skin where heat can be dissipated.

On the other hand, in cold weather, your heart only has to pump blood to your muscles and very little extra blood to your skin to dissipate heat. Your muscles produce so much heat during exercise that your body does not need to produce more heat to keep you warm. So your heart works harder and you burn more calories in hot weather. This information should not discourage you from exercising when it?s cold, because staying in shape is a year-round proposition. However, it may help to explain why so many people find the pounds creeping on in the wintertime, even when they stay active.

http://www.drmirkin.com/public/Ezine030605.html

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
2009/04/24, 08:54 PM
thanks Devin.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/04/30, 05:14 PM
I believe that we also burn more calories trying to keep warm.
When a person is shivering, (not good) they are burning more calories.
Did you know you can lose weight by taking a cold shower?
Its a weight loss program with out dieting! Try it .
:big_smile:

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/04/30, 06:35 PM
So you're saying that if I alternate hot showers and ice baths I'll stay very thin? You Canadians only have one warm week a year. That tells me there are no fat Canadians ...eh?:big_smile:

--------------

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/04/30, 09:58 PM
I knew you would understand the concept eh. Can I sell you the technique??
BTW Charlie, the Port of Montreal is going full steam! Sail on up.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/04/30, 10:23 PM
Can't come soon Ivan. I don't know how things are in Canada but it's oink-mageddon down here. I can't tear myself loose from CNN swine flu updates.

--------------

Charlie
jessegaw
jessegaw
Canada
2009/04/30, 11:32 PM
Dude, I can't believe you're in 90 something temperatures...it snowed here yesterday.

Damn, I need to move.
2009/04/30, 11:44 PM
OK if I make swine flu jokes at least notice it. If you put lipstick on a pig be sure not to use the same lipstick.

--------------

Charlie
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2009/05/01, 06:00 AM
Only you Charlie!:big_smile:

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
jessegaw
jessegaw
Canada
2009/05/01, 05:21 PM
Fine, fine you're hilarious! ha ha ha, snort :)

2009/05/01, 09:41 PM

============
Quoting from jessegaw:

ha ha ha, snort :)

=============
Now that's funny. Nice work!

--------------

Charlie
lauraflem01
lauraflem01
United States
2009/08/08, 06:06 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.