Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

About newbie gains

Ethnocide
Ethnocide
Canada
2009/04/19, 07:53 AM
Ok, so I talked with a few people on these boards about the concept of cutting vs gaining, and how you can't cut large amounts of fat, and gain muscle at the same time.

So apparently this is true, except in the case of when you are new to training. I guess If you are new, there is a "magical" period of being able to drop lbs, and get significantly stronger, then this starts to plateau and eventually stops happening.

In my case, when I first started weight training I lost 30-40 lbs, and tripled in strength in a period of 2 months. Obviously I cut and gained at the same time. This was my magical period of time. My question is, what is the science behind this?

How can you not lost fat AND gain muscle at the same time, even if you are NOT new? If you work out, and lift heavy, yet do a LOT of cardio as well (6 times/week 2 times a day 30 mins), while keeping a proper diet, why can't y ou do both at the same time?

Will the weight training stop working or the cardio? If you do this, will you stop losing fat, or stop getting stronger? If you are getting stronger, it can only mean you are gaining lean muscle. Yet, if you are dropping lbs it must mean you are losing fat. Even IF you stop dropping lbs eventually, how will the cardio stop losing fat for you?

I just don't get when the newbie period ends, and the "You must EITHER cut OR gain, can't do both" - starts. Which stops happening first, assuming you weight lift heavy, and do massive cardio with a high protein diet along with all the supplements?

I understand cadio cuts into muscle, but not if your lifting heavy and getting stronger? Just doesn't make sense to me. If your body works one way for one period of time, it shouldn't just totally stop doing what it was doing before, burning fat and gaining muscle.
Ethnocide
Ethnocide
Canada
2009/04/19, 09:24 AM
I just wanted to add, that I did read up on the bio-chemistry of how it all works, and I have a basic understanding.

The cardio sticky answers my question to an extent, yes when you are already in decent shape, cardio will cut into your muscle, but can't you just adjust your diet to keep the progress going?

Another thing I am wondering about is: I am 6^1 290lbs - obese. My body shape is not as bad as the numbers would lead you to believe. People who "look" fatter than me are usually lighter.

Fat doesn't turn into muscle. Why is it that I started a lifting routine with my thinner friend, who is just as tall, same age - yet I am getting so much stronger than him? The only difference between us is I am fatter. I am thinking I had some muscle that went soft from my years of training before, that is hardening now, but I don't know.