Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

51 year old

jgjdjr
jgjdjr
United States
2009/02/23, 12:58 PM
Hi, I am 51 year old male and am looking to gain some muscle and strength. I see all these hugh workouts and am interested in a simple program for strength and development. How many sets and reps, how often to train each part a week and best exercises for arms, shoulders and chest?
marinarmalik
marinarmalik
United States
2009/03/19, 09:56 PM
Hi jdjdjr

Do a 5 min warm-up ? you can use the ones that are marked in ** as a warm-up.
Then go through each exercise ones then if you still up to it do another circuit.
Use reasonable weights, Don?t forget to stretch.

Let me know if you beyond this level and I will provide you with a different workout.. It is a great starter and you can always add more weight to make it harder.

Squat
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, trunk flexed forward slightly with back straight in a neutral position. Bend your knees and lower down until knees are at 90°if you have knee pain don?t go down as low 2 sets for 30-60 sec

** Jumping Jacks (to increase HR)
In one motion jump and spread, your legs out to the side while your arms rise out and up over your head. Land in this position and then return to the starting position 2 sets for 30-60 sec

Lunges
Stand in split stance, right foot in front.   Bend the knees and lower body into lunge position, keeping the right knee behind the toe, torso upright and abs in 2 sets
30 sec on each leg

** Side-to-Side jump (to increase HR)
Place a book or step on the floor and stand to one side. Jump from side to side over the object, landing with knees bent and abs in; 2 sets 20-30 sec.

Push Ups On Knees
Start with your knees on the floor and your feet up (facing the mat). Place your hands parallel with your shoulders and a bit wider than shoulder width apart. Without touching the ground extend your arms until your arms come close to locking out. Lower until 4 inches from the ground. Repeat; 2 sets for 30-60 sec

Squats with Front Kick
Stand with feet together. Bring the right knee up and extend the leg in a front kick (don't lock the knee!). Lower down into a low squat (knees behind toes) and then kick with the left leg. Repeat (right kick, squat, left kick) 2 sets; for 1-3 min

Squat/Lateral Raise
Stand with feet hip-width apart, abs in and torso straight. Slowly bend knees into a squat, keeping knees behind toes. At the same time, raise arms up to shoulder level. Lower arms and stand up.2 sets for 30-60 sec.

** Side-to-Side jump (to increase HR)
Place a book or step on the floor and stand to one side. Jump from side to side over the object, landing with knees bent and abs in. 2 Sets for 20-30 sec.

Plank
Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abs to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air. Hold for 20-60 seconds, lower and repeat; 2 sets 20-60 sec

Lunge w/ Biceps Curls
In split stance, slowly lower into lunge (front and back legs at 90 degrees) and curl forearms towards shoulders 2 sets 20-30 secs on each leg.

Back Extensions
Lie on the floor, face down with your hands at the level of your head squeeze the lower back to lift the chest off Inhale and lift your chest off the floor. As you lift your chest off the floor, bring your arms towards your sides and squeeze your shoulder blades together.Turn your shoulders outwards so that your palms face away from your body. Perform, and stretch between sets if your lower back muscles feel tight. Move in a slow and controlled manner, hold at the top for 1 sec before lowering back towards the floor.2 sets,10-20 reps

** Jumping Jacks (to increase HR)
In one motion jump and spread, your legs out to the side while your arms rise out and up over your head. Land in this position and then return to the starting position
2 sets, 30-60 sec

Hope it helps.

--------------
Marina Malik
CHEK Holistic Life Coach
NASM Certified PT
www.fitnessbymarina.com
marinarmalik
marinarmalik
United States
2009/03/19, 09:58 PM
Oh, I almost forgot:

Do them 3 to 4 times a week and also include cardio.

--------------
Marina Malik
CHEK Holistic Life Coach
NASM Certified PT
www.fitnessbymarina.com
2009/03/19, 10:52 PM
You must not have liked the answer we gave you for the same question in the over 40 board. Some day I'll learn not to reply to people who don't bother to fill out a profile. What a waste of time.:angry:

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie