Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Insecure

silver1993
silver1993
United States
2009/02/18, 03:10 AM
It sucks. I want to work out but when i go to the park to TRY and run (lol) i get really embarrassed cuz everyone is bone thin and jogging nonstop. Plus im chunky so it just doesnt look right. And also working out at home feels akward because family looks at me like im crazy. Im too broke for a gym (and they dont allow 15 year olds to go to the gym without parents) So is there any advice on encouragement or something? ^_^
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/02/18, 03:33 PM
You don't have to run to burn calories! Power walking can be just as good when you start off, and it's a lot easier on your lower back and hips. I rarely jog. I stick to walking on a steeper incline at a reasonable pace most of the time. Work your way up to jogging if that's what you ultimately want to do.
Forget what your family thinks. They are not adding to the solution, so just consider them to be part of the problem. And EVERY time you get active when you didn't really want to, or when it's easier not to,you should be extremely proud of yourself for going the extra mile(because they surely didn't). When you start losing weight and they don't, they'll get the message.
I myself was big at one time(about 300lbs)and there were a lot of days when it would have been easier to not go for a walk or work out. But that's the dividing line between fat and fit. There's no one that will save you, and you have to become your own hero.
Oh and just to let you know: Every one of those non-stop joggers had to start from where you are. It takes time to build-up endurance and wind. If you keep it up you'll definitely get there.
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2009/03/06, 02:57 PM
Hey Silver, not sure if you'll read this (I hope you don't become a flash in the pan poster!).

You know, it's impossible to know what someone else is thinking. Really. There's just no way. None.
So, stop mind reading what all those people at the park are thinking. How do you know they aren't thinking supportive, positive thoughts?

Ultimately you do this for you, and for your personal feeling of well-being. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream (Don Miguel Ruiz). So, forget about everyone else and do this for you!

Jon