Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Weight loss/ Training questions!

DRaiente
DRaiente
United States
2009/02/06, 03:10 PM
I am 42, about 220 lbs and am in the process of dieting and am actually enjoying working out at the gym! Basically, I would like to know for my weight and physical condition what a good routine is on the eliptical and treadmill equipment (ie: length of times on each, inclines, speeds, etc..) I have been doing 15 mins on eliptical, 30 mins on treadmill, then another 15 on eliptical etc...alternating. Also, i would like to know about what the heart rate should stay at and how long for me to get the best cardio workout possible. I usually start at 90-100 then get up to 130-135. should i aim higher?
cppstud
cppstud
United States
2009/02/06, 11:44 PM
Hi, I am new to freetrainers but think i know a little about fitness. I lost about 75 pounds a little less than 5 years ago and have kept off most of it, give or take a few pounds. The heart rate that you are hitting is good, but maybe after a few months you might want to mix things up a little and add a few workouts using the HIIT method. Also, diet is the most important component. Eating clean foods and eating every 3 hours will keep your body constantly burning calories. Also, lifting weights will help tone up your body and the muscle that it builds will help you burn more calories at rest.
DRaiente
DRaiente
United States
2009/02/07, 06:57 PM
OK, now ya got me curious, what is the HIIT method? Thanks sooo much for the advice! I appreciate it. Yeah, I feel great now just doing the Eliptical and treadmill, i use some of the machines for the upper body and arms, I will also need to know what kind of weights for toning I should use (i can do this at home) let me know the weight sizes and different moves if you have ideas, I will start doing them at home right away. Thank you again so much! also...i was wondering, what is the length of time you should keep your heart rate up for the best cardio? (20, 30, 45??)

--------------
Darlene
cppstud
cppstud
United States
2009/02/08, 05:03 AM
Here is an article on the HIIT method..

http://freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=0&t_ix=718

As for weights, i believe the toning range is to hit reps between 12-15 reps per set. You would want to choose a weight that allows you to hit those reps while maintaining good form.

For the cardio, I'm not sure if there is a specific length that you should aim for but most sessions seem to run 30-45 mins.