Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

P90X

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/03, 08:45 PM
hah. yeah.. coach was fired this year.. He was considered one of the worst in the state.

Just like to apologize. I been way outta line the past few weeks.. & running out of my prescription has made things worse!
So I'm sorry. & yeah you're right about what you said to an extent. The players who did the program were the tailbacks, the cornerbacks, the safeties, & I believe that's all. Now that I think of it all these players are naturally skinny anyway.. and the program does focus on toning. Football player and their mighty egos would see the results to their bodies and think highly of it. Makes sense.

If you're 250 and have a terrible diet, this product isn't for you.

If you're 150 and can't seem to put on weight even if you ate 10,000 calories in a day, this product is for you.
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2008/11/29, 04:44 AM
Hey guys,

Just seeing a lot of television shows on P90X and its successes. Just wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on another fad from exercise guru's? Seems like a lot of people see success in this program but I want to know if there is any truth to their stories or are they just "paid" testimonials? Does it really work?

Love to hear from everyone.

Thanks,
Chris
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/29, 01:56 PM
I personally haven't used the program yet, but our school purchased the program and got many members of the football team to use it. Everyone I've spoken with about it has made incredible gains, become freakishly toned, and absolutely loved it. It is legit - uses a mastery of whats called "muscle confusion".

If you decide to use it, let me know how it works for you!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/30, 01:32 AM
It's a skinny boy / pretty boy fad IMO.

I have not seen or heard of one 1 serious leg routine from this and it's all body weight or LIGHT WEIGHT on a strict diet.

IMO it's another Ab, get toned cardio type routine.

I'm not saying it won't bust your ass I'm just saying it's a weight loss, fat burn routine with body weight and LIGHT WEIGHT.

I haven't seen or heard any leg stuff.

Guys that want abs with twig arms and bird legs have at it!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/30, 01:45 AM
Well they do a leg and back day but not like you would in the gym under some weight!

--------------
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/30, 08:43 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/11/30, 09:23 PM
Dc lets not call names ok?

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/30, 09:13 PM
Call me all the names you want but it is light weight period it's total light weight.

Learn the difference between heavy and light weight then shoot your mouth off.

--------------
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/30, 09:16 PM
By the way MODS!

Put this kid in check with his name calling!

--------------
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/11/30, 09:23 PM
Easy you guys.....keep it nice or I will lock this up!

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2008/12/03, 12:39 AM
Guys, appreciate the feedback hoping to get some more than one person and the other contradicting it! =) Anyone else out there who might have some ideas as to if this works?
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/03, 12:47 AM

============
Quoting from chris1980:

Guys, appreciate the feedback hoping to get some more than one person and the other contradicting it! =) Anyone else out there who might have some ideas as to if this works?
=============

Depends on your goals!

You want mass then no!

You want strength like in a bigger squat, deadlift or bench then no!

But if you just want what it offers then yes it will work and bust your ass!

--------------
2008/12/03, 01:06 PM
football team was doing this sh#t? that coach must be an utter idiot...

muscle confusion? that's is fad mass fitness media bullsh%t lingo that has no real scientific meaning....just like 'toned'....your muscles dont need to be confused...

similar to crossfit...

if you want to lose weight and get in a somewhat decent shape then this program is alright...but there are plenty of better ways...

i would explore a real strength training program paired with some real conditioning (aka ross enamait's stuff)....
rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/04, 03:32 PM
I have lost 4% body fat in the last 5 weeks doing this and adding extra cardio. I am actually lifting heavier weights that I have ever my whole life. It can be heavy weight if you choose...you are in control of the weight and reps. I personally enjoy this program because I can do it at home and not have to deal with men in the gym who are critical of newbies intead of helping. I have learned proper form and I am stronger and fitter than I have been my whole life. This is not a program for people who aka "know it all" about weight training...it actually is a way to structure proper strength training sessions so you are able to recover properly and not overtrain which is couter productive when you only do the same exercises all the time and never change it up...I see men come in and out of the gym for months...nothing about thier physique changes...why? because the "know it all" and don't challenge thier muscles by doing it different ways. The increased weight is important, don't get me wrong...but P90x shows you how to change it up and challege muscles from other angles and full range of motion. Size, strength, and muscle growth is mostly consistancy, diet, and challeging your muscles. Adding weight is only one way to do this. So give it a try...remember add more weight when you are ready and reduce reps as you need to...he explains that in the videos. The videos show 15-20 reps everytime they show you a move...but this is so those who on ly want strength and not mass can follow along. You can stop at 5 or 6 or even 8 reps like I do...so for all you "know it alls" you should realize this and quit harping on this program. Good luck.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/04, 03:54 PM

============
Quoting from rbault:

I have lost 4% body fat in the last 5 weeks doing this and adding extra cardio. I am actually lifting heavier weights that I have ever my whole life. It can be heavy weight if you choose...you are in control of the weight and reps. I personally enjoy this program because I can do it at home and not have to deal with men in the gym who are critical of newbies intead of helping. I have learned proper form and I am stronger and fitter than I have been my whole life. This is not a program for people who aka "know it all" about weight training...it actually is a way to structure proper strength training sessions so you are able to recover properly and not overtrain which is couter productive when you only do the same exercises all the time and never change it up...I see men come in and out of the gym for months...nothing about thier physique changes...why? because the "know it all" and don't challenge thier muscles by doing it different ways. The increased weight is important, don't get me wrong...but P90x shows you how to change it up and challege muscles from other angles and full range of motion. Size, strength, and muscle growth is mostly consistancy, diet, and challeging your muscles. Adding weight is only one way to do this. So give it a try...remember add more weight when you are ready and reduce reps as you need to...he explains that in the videos. The videos show 15-20 reps everytime they show you a move...but this is so those who on ly want strength and not mass can follow along. You can stop at 5 or 6 or even 8 reps like I do...so for all you "know it alls" you should realize this and quit harping on this program. Good luck.
=============

Like I said it depends on your goals and this program will not get me a 400 pound squat, 500 pound deadlift and 350 pound bench and to me that's heavy weight not 50 pound dumbbells.

I have said it works but I don't train like that because I have gotten the best strength gains of my life lifting in a style that has worked for many year and the 5x5 I got on was created for real athletes the Baltimore Colts of the NFL back in 1979.

Like I said it depends on your goals and for one thing I am not a Know it All, I'm learning everyday but the funny thing is I'm learning things that have been around for decades and will never fad away like this mumbo jumbo routine will.

I challenge my muscles every time I squat, deadlift, bench, row, overhead press and so on. LOL I even challenge my muscles doing a set of arm curl LOL.

--------------

My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1609
dan_into
dan_into
United States
2008/12/04, 04:07 PM
SFGiantsMVP-I would like to see what your workout consists of

--------------
-always wanting more often gets in the way of living for anything at all-
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/04, 04:26 PM

============
Quoting from dan_into:

SFGiantsMVP-I would like to see what your workout consists of

=============
Link to my log is in my signature.

--------------

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/04, 04:47 PM
Lets get something straight before this goes haywire ok!

The original poster asked for opinions and that is what I gave but I also many time have said it will bust your ass and if it's your goals it will work but I also give my opinion based on my goals.

--------------

rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/05, 12:21 AM
"The original poster asked for opinions and that is what I gave but I also many time have said it will bust your ass and if it's your goals it will work but I also give my opinion based on my goals."

Not everyone can do 400lb squats right off the bat. This program is great for those starting out and those wanting to get off of thier bottom and do something. The gym can be very intimidating for average guys...who make up the majority of the population. this program can help them achieve confidence and knowledge about lifting and training with good form...so they don't feel embarrased in the gym. This program is customized. You can add as much weight as a bodybuilder or figure comp if you want to. Yes I do 5-6 reps on various exercises and do 5 or more sets with various range of motion but similar in objective...so really how is that different than the (5X5)? it isn't that different...besides there are many variations in weight training that can get results...genetics play an important part in that too. I do not think that there is any one way to do anything. So like I am saying...you are not wrong...you are only leaving the dude asking the question unsatisfied...because you have not personally used the program yourself, nor are you answering his question in a manner that would have merit...since you have not tried the program. You could have just told him what you would do instead and not put down something that you do not have credible experience using. I am not attacking you...just hoping to share with you that men who are humble or aknowledge that they can be kind and less intimidating are appreciated and respected alot more expecially by women ;). I am not challenging you sweetie. Be humble.
-rbault
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/05, 12:38 AM
I still can't squat 400 unless on a machine and this program is why different then a 5x5 trust me.

Lets let this go ok if it's your goals and works for you have at it.

When I 1st started I was blind but know I see in little peeks and some day will have full vision but until then I will always keep learning and if that program teaches you then learn away.

Actually I don't thin I'll ever have full vision but my eyes open wider when my mouth is closed and ears are being put to use.

Simply put I don't like that program plain and simple.

--------------

rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/05, 12:41 AM
I don't do this program to a T. I have customized it to my needs. I spend many hours in the gym too! I just like using the chin up bar and the barbbells at home. I do my leg routine in the gym and I use a stability ball and the ab coaster so I mix the ab routine up a bit. I lift the heaviest weight I can do with at least 6 reps. I do not follow this diet either.

I have lost 50 lbs. in the last year and within the last month (5 weeks) alone I have lost 4.1% bodyfat and gained 12lbs of lean mass. I have lost a net weight (on the scale) of 7 lbs. I think that if I continue to gain lean mass and lose body fat i am going to assume this program is sent from God...(a figure of speech). When I plateau I will hit it harder and conform to 100% gym free weights to bust my &$$. I only train with weights at the gym 1x a week right now ant this is only on my (Legs, Glutes and Lower Back Day) I do weights in the morning 3x a week with 50 min max of cardio in the evenings @ the gym, that is a total of cardio 5 days a week. I take 2 active rest days.

Feel free to read my diet...I'm not slaving away. I just eat smarter. It isn't about calories so much as macronutrients anyways. I have discovered that you have to feed the muscle so you can use that muscle to burn off the fat. I try for the 40/30/30...some days it works out some days it doesn't. I am also trying carb cycling with this equation. 50-100-150-200-50-100-150-200 but still at 40 % so I am varying my caloric intake too. There are always perfect plans...but sometimes plans are broken...the point is not giving up. GL guys.
http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rbault122302
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/05, 12:58 AM
See you don't just use this routine and have to add, tweak and make your own leg day!

You don't follow it's diet plan!

That is what I was getting at that program only isn't good enough IMO and your last post says you feel the same.

That's all I was saying although I have F'd up way of saying thing and that is this program is not enough IMO.

--------------

rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/05, 01:13 AM
For more details on the subject for curious minds. I do use some of the leg and glutes routine of p90x at the gym with added weight and I use the smith machine for squats 85 lbs is my max @ 6 reps. My genetics are in my favor for I have nice shapely glutes and the last month just gave it more mass at the top of my butt so I think 80lbs or 400lbs it doesn't really matter as long as you are seeing gains. Genetics are a person's only handicap or it can be a gift. This program is something that will be harped on and praised. Do you see the glass half empty or half full?
"Only you can decide". We are only weak if we choose to be weak. We can only give up if we want to give up. A strong body is evidence of a strong mind. Just get up and move your &$$. LOL.
rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/05, 01:26 AM
I was adding in the posts for all viewers and the one asking the question...not you personally dude. I just wanted to be 100% honest about the program and how I have customized it. Just because I tweaked it doesn't mean the info in p90x has no value. I wouldn't pay 10,000 for liposuction, but people do it. I am only sharing my experience with other who want to know about it. That is all. You must be a politician or on the debate team. You raised some good thoughts but I just thought I should be thorough with the details. We all know how you feel about P90X and now everyone else reading this forum will know how I feel about it. The End. No more posts from me...you make me not want to participate in any discussions on this site...thanks dude.
rbault
rbault
United States
2008/12/05, 01:40 AM

If anyone has any questions or feedback you can send me a private message. I will not be participating in this forum anymore.
I also have a personal page on BB.com
URL:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/rbault/
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2009/01/05, 12:40 AM
Hi rbault,

Thanks for all the info. In fact, thanks to everyone for their opinion. I think I will try to work out for a few months on my own weight program before I go to P90X. I haven't hit the gym in a about a year so I think my body will respond regardless. Wish me luck!

rbault, best to you in losing the desired weight you like. I saw your site and I've read through your profile. Sounds like you've made great progress and I want to wish you the best!

Thanks all!
brotherb2010
brotherb2010
United States
2010/03/17, 04:04 AM
I have a friend that actually followed the diet and everything with p90x. His before and after pictures are amazing. and no it doesnt have a great leg program, but it does have u doing legs every week. it will get you gains and you can use whatever weights u like. u may have to buy a weight belt for pull ups and such but u can add the extra weight if u need it. It is also excellent for a student that can't afford a gym membership every month.