Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

DON'T SAY IT...

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2008/09/23, 09:54 PM
....DO IT!

I know, it took me a LONG arse time to lose what I have and I still have 20 pounds to go, but now being leaning a little more on the "other side of the fence", being healthier by choice, I have really gotten a good look at the way I once was and hope by saying it out loud, that it may help someone else get past what took me so long to get past.

As I have lost weight and gained muscle, I have a repeatedly heard my friends and acquaintances say, "I want to go on 'her' diet", or "what are you doing, I want to do it, too" ----so I take them up on it and tell them to join me and go walking --I walk 5-7 miles 3-5 days a week. So, they say, "Okay!!! Call me and I'll go"! So...I call, and they tell me why they can't come...."but, call when you go next"....So, I call when I go next...and once again they have something in "life" that prevents them from just going walking...I mean it isn't like we are doing a tri-athalon, it is just one hour at best out of their day, right? Yeah, well, I've been there...on "their" side of things, and you know what? I had a lot of "excuses" too, I mean, I had a life, kids, grandkids, sickness, work (lotsa work), husband, etc....and I thought for the longest time it was "them" and "stuff" that kept me from losing weight, from being healthy --but, I was wrong --it was ME! Like my friends, I could not imagine taking time out for me, let alone if I had it, spend it sweating and thinking about what I was shoving in my mouth!

But, one day, and through a lot of wonderful people right here on F.T., I decided that wasn't going to cut it...I was getting older every day and enough was enough...so I started making changes, little by little, bit by bit --but that was the only way for "me" to do it --I tried making BIG changes and ended up quitting because they were too much to tackle for me, but the little changes, now that is something I could do, and maybe it took a long time, but each and every day I was making POSITIVE changes and they were affecting me POSITIVELY. Yes, I had set-backs, but I did not give up, I did not let me give up on me! I just forgave myself and started again...

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you can make a change, and then continue to make changes, it is still moving in the right direction and you don't have to do everything at once! Hey, if you can, great, but I think most of us are wired to take smaller hurdles better until we get it down, then we can go for the stars, right? I am finally at the point where I am going for the final round and I can FINALLY see the finish line!!!! And, it feels good! And better that it took longer than I didn't do it at all...yes, I wish it had come to me sooner, and for some of you it might, for some it may take longer, but please, please, please, stop making excuses and make changes instead. I cannot tell you the amount of energy I have now! Do you know that for the longest time I just thought I was sick with something, that I was just a "bit" out of shape, etc., I truly did not think that I could feel this good and I can only imagine how good I will feel another 20 pounds less yet!

What do you have to lose? Just pounds! And you have EVERYTHING to gain!!!

YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO, ONLY YOU GET IN YOUR WAY!:love::love::dumbbell:

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/09/26, 11:11 AM
"YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO, ONLY YOU GET IN YOUR WAY!"

That's very well put Veda! I basically had the same struggle in my early 20's and it all boiled down to how bad I wanted to change. All of my buddies are overweight, and less active than they should be(it's harsh but true, it's the byproduct of too much Dungeons and Dragons I think!), and they're always commenting on how I got into shape and they want to also. But just like your friends, when it comes time to do something about it, that desire falls short of execution. And the worse part is that it's not like I'd charge any of them for my services. I'd take the time out to meet them at the gym and work with them if they just wanted it bad enough. My favorite thing to say to them is "You're the boss of you. When you want to do something about it bad enough you will".

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/10/20, 02:50 PM
Great post Veda. Glad things are going so well for you! :love:
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2008/11/02, 01:56 PM
Hi CristalBelle!!!! Where have you been girl? As scarce as I am sometimes!!!! Yes, things are going wonderful, so blessed with breathiing without torment!! :)

How are you? I have been out of town for work, Philly, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. and haven't been on again much, but I only have about 18 more pounds to go until I finally reach my goal!! :dumbbell::love:

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill