Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

cardio timing question..

runner07
runner07
United States
2008/09/15, 03:18 PM

Okay, so I have taken the past 2 weeks from working out to give my body a break. Now I am going to be starting a new program where I am going to cycle my carbs (240gprotein, 80g carbs for 2 days then 1 day of 240g protein and 240gcarbs) I am keeping my fat to about 20 grams every day. I am doing a lifting program 6 days a week (super-slow lifting technique/contra-lateral training)...my question is when/if should I do my cardio? I typically run but I have some pain in my shins right now so have to get those healed. I was thinking either walking for 45minutes every morning or maybe doing 10minutes before lifting and 10 minutes after...or maybe walking 2 hours on sat and 2 hours on sunday?? What would be the best way to add the cardio in..and how much?

My main goal is fat loss, I want to maintain as much muscle as I can....

Thanks!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2008/09/19, 12:21 AM
Hi runner07 and welcome!

I wouldn't really count the 10 min before weight training as cardio, but more as a warm up. I would keep the weight training and cardio separate but everybody is different (I can't do cardio on empty stomach or with the weight training or it'll take me 4 days to recover :dumbbell: ).

I often walk in the mornings (after eating my oatmeal -and before going to work). It's a great start for the day (I am actually able to train harder on the days I go for my morning walk -I stopped running last year because of knee pain so I walk the same distance and I enjoy it even more!).

Another type of cardio that I do a lot, and that is extremely effective for weight loss, is the jump rope (that doesn't bother my knees -funny enough :) ). It's easy and fast. Why not maybe once a week (or every two weeks) challenge your weight training by jumping for 1-2 min in between your exercises?

There is a lot of great ways to do cardio. To stay consistent in your diet and training is the key to great physical health. Good luck!

--------------
- Nina -Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur. New website: https://nina.courtyardmarket.com
www.free2bmore.com
runner07
runner07
United States
2008/09/19, 07:28 PM
Hey Thanks!

Thats a good idea with the jump rope..I will have to try that sometime. Walking is nice, we do have a treadmill...I would rather go outside but now its getting cold :( I guess I just have to get my butt moving in the morning and get on the treadmill...my diet has been spot on so I don't feel too guilty not getting more cardio in..this lifting program is harder than hell!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/09/19, 11:42 PM
'Cardio' can be classified as anything that makes you move and gets your heart rate going. This can be so many different things. This is precisely why so many folks swear by so many different cardio workouts, whether it is Tai Chai, Kickboxing, Tennis, whatever, folks on commercials swear that their's is the best. The bottom line behind any cardio movement to work for you is find one you like. This will allow you to stick with it, and you will be then swearing by it.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer