Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

I want to know what shape I am.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/08/19, 10:53 AM
It doesn't matter what shape you are - you will lose bodyfat from heavy training and cardio and a good diet plan.

If you feel you are a pear then you may eventually want to focus on building up your shoulders to balance your physique, but first lose the weight - you may find you are a totally different shape under the fat.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/08/19, 04:40 AM
damn i read all of that. I guess that if you are a pear and you workout your legs and butt it'll make them look bigger. same goes for abs and apples, but if you're in a calorie deficit then you shouldn't really be gaining any muscle anyways. Minus the pump

If you want to lose fat low carb it and run. 15-20min of HIIT followed by something active like walking for an hour works great.

Do that till you hit a weight loss plateau then you'll be ready to start lifting weights and can bulk to get your metabolism back on track. Then it's bulking and cutting as usual:)
angelzby10
angelzby10
United States
2008/08/18, 10:13 PM
I know that when it comes to body type, I'm a combination of Endo and Meso. But I want to know what I am in terms of (apple vs pear) and (ruler vs cone vs hourglass vs spoon). I tend to gain (and have as of right now) lots of weight in my thighs (chunky thighs and saddlebags) and my abdomen (not much to the sides, I only have "love handles" when I sit down with a top or jeans that are too tight, most of my stomach fat is I guess in my "lower abdomen", it's like I have a pregnant belly ) I have quite a bit of flab in my upper arms (flappy triceps), I have medium-large breast and medium-large butt, my face isn't that "full/round" and when looking at my face you can't really tell that I'm overweight so I hope I dont look terribly thin in my face when I lose weight, my lower legs (esp. my calves) are pretty strong and built like an athlete's, I have a slightly defined waist (like a slight curve but I think when I lose the weight I'll see my waist become more defined or at least I hope that would be the case) My chest-waist-hip measurements are 38-32-38 inches. I'm pretty short, only 5'4'' so the extra 40lbs that I have makes me look horrible but I don't just gain weight in one area, I gain in pretty much all the damn "trouble" spots :(

Most of the pics that display the body shapes almost always use skinny drawings or people and that really doesnt help me figure out MY shape. It was said on something I was watchin on tv that apple vs pear is more about fat storage and ruler vs cone vs hourglass vs spoon is about body shape and Ecto vs Meso vs Endo is about body type. I already know my body type. I want to know what I would fall under in terms of fat storage and body shape. Can anyone help me with that? It was also mentioned that sometimes the reason why we don't see significant changes or any changes at all (esp if your working out and eating right) is that your not eating or working out for your body shape/body type (like that there were certain foods that could be keeping you from losing weight based on your body type/shape or certain exercises that are maybe causing you to bulk instead of slim in the areas that you want to slim)...Is there any truth in this? Well even there is no truth I'd like to know my fat storage type and body shape so that I can at least "dress" my body because I'm pretty sure I am doing so wrong which is why I look even worse than I am which is making my self esteem shoot straight down to barely there.
Joyinthewind
Joyinthewind
United States
2008/10/10, 05:00 PM
Even with weight, you can usually tell based on the measured portions and overall visual between the shoulders and hips.

An apple is generally round, all around. While thin they are thicker in the stomach area making them more round in the figure.

A pear is narrower and flatter through the shoulders and chest with a larger rounder hip and seat (vs chest/shoulders).

Hmm. Ruler vs cone. Hadn't heard those before but I would tend to think that they are taller lanker people, one thin as a rail and the cone like in body form. A cone to me is less round more rectangle but thicker than the rail figure.

An hourglass is proportionate (chest vs hips and tend to be voluptous even at ideal weight). (ex. Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell)

A spoon is flatter and thinner through the chest area with a flatter seat and wider hip span.

I believe you are an hourglass, as am I.

============
Quoting from angelzby10:

I am in terms of (apple vs pear) and (ruler vs cone vs hourglass vs spoon).

My chest-waist-hip measurements are 38-32-38 inches. I'm pretty short, only 5'4'' so the extra 40lbs that I have makes me look horrible but I don't just gain weight in one area, I gain in pretty much all the damn "trouble" spots :(
=============
Joyinthewind
Joyinthewind
United States
2008/10/10, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, for our shape, when we add 40 lbs nearly everything we wear makes us look round and our height (I'm 5'3", 183#) makes it worse. I have found that if I contrast colors on separates (tops & bottoms) dark colors on bottom appear smaller while bright colors on top enhance the chest. Stripes that go around are all wrong. Stripes up and down, narrow down. Large polka dots & prints look larger, smaller polka dots & prints appear smaller. I always contrast prints & dots with solids. Belts at my size tend to make matters worse and I usually make sure the blouses are long enough to reach between mid waist & hip to hip (to cover camel toe).

When I lose weight, it begins from the legs & arms and wrings out in the middle. There's an awkward period where the mid-section is larger than the rest but then begins to form like an apple that has been eaten around the middle. 114 lbs was too thin for me, I am aiming for 125-135 lbs.

============
Quoting from angelzby10:

I'd like to know my fat storage type and body shape so that I can at least "dress" my body because I'm pretty sure I am doing so wrong which is why I look even worse than I am which is making my self esteem shoot straight down to barely there.
=============