Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

fat grams (also, cheat days vs metabo)

LaudieDah
LaudieDah
United States
2008/07/21, 01:36 PM
More than calories I really try to pay attention to the fat grams. In general my goal is to stay under 30 grams of fat... does that seem like a healthy goal for someone who is trying to get rid of that last extra fat or should I go even lower?

I've had a hard time knowing how much is too much of the "good" fats...and at the same time how much is too little.

Also, supposedly having a higher caloric intake day is supposed to spike the metabolism...but when I give myself those "cheat days" my weight goes right back up. It's confusing.

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/21, 02:05 PM
You must, I repeat must pay attention to overall calories for weight loss, or for that matter weight gain(though not as much as folks trying to gain just normally to them anything is fair game).

The 'good' fats are especially needed in your diet. These are EFA's, Omega 3's. They are mainly found in fish(marine sources your best supply). There are plant sources also, but these are not as good. If you do not like to eat fish, and most of us cannot eat enough fish to 'balance' out the Omega 6's ingested, then fish oil capsule are the way to go.

I recommend for the most part molecularly distilled and pharmaceutical grade. At the very least MD.

On your 'cheat days', if you take in alot of carbs when you normally don't, you may well see your weight spike up. But this is due more to water weight, as you do not gain in one day large amounts of weight.

However, you need to space your cheat days. Example on a cyclical keto type diet usually 1-2 days, but then this is a special type of diet where you eat no carbs basically all week, then carb up for 2 days or so. Theory is it allows a full metabolism shift to a fat for fuel one with little or very little protein conversion to glucose. The body will use free form fatty acids for fuel and energy levels will increase in most.

This works for many folks, for many it does not. Then there is the TKD(targeted keto diet), but I will stop here as this is probably info overload.:)

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer