Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

How America's Children Packed On the Pou

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/06/17, 09:52 AM
I have that issue of Time magazine. There's an entire section in there on children, their diets, and their activity levels. Some of the stuff they say in the magazine is somewhat promising, but still sad. As a teacher I see this sort of stuff all the time.

Here's an excerpt from Elliot Hulse that explains his opinion as to why childhood obesity is a problem:
---

...Well, lets pretend that we are in the year 1832 and America?s economy still depends heavily on farmers and agriculture.

Young men (9-14 years old) at this time had to help ?Pop? with chores around the barn (or the horse whip would do some talkin?) - and more than likely his list of chores would include:

1. Bailing Hay (Squats & Twist)
2. Transporting buckets of milk (Farmers Carries)
3. Loading Trucks (Dead Lifts, Push Presses)
4. Pushing Stubborn Mules (Bench Press)

So, it would be safe to say that young men ?lifted weights? since the 1800?s (and beyond) without any problems.

The issue today is that most kids never do any ?Work? and they are plain ol? weak. Most adults want to blame the tee-vee or Nintendo Wii - I say it?s a lack of creativity and understanding on the part of the parents. I especially love the parents that want their little fatties to lose weight but they, themselves are 73lbs. overweight and have jaundiced eyes with a side order of arm acne...

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/16, 10:00 AM
This was a pretty good article. Very well written.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1813700,00.html?cnn=yes

Some of the figures are startling, but it almost seems as though there is hope.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk