Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Last 10-20 pounds

darklady
darklady
Canada
2008/06/03, 09:44 PM
Hello,
I am sure there are loads of questions asking how to loose the last few pounds but thought I would ask anyway. I am 5'3 138 pounds and having a very hard time loosing weight. I work out 5-6 days a week, sometimes 2 times a day at a high intensity. I also do weights 3-4 times a week as well. Basically I am sore majority of the week. I have a clean healthy diet. Eating small portions and staying within 1300-1400 cals. I mix it up with workouts and make sure I am not doing the same thing for too long. I went to the doctor and everything is in check (no thyroid issues) and am just getting to the point where I don't know what to do. I haven't noticed any changes in clothes or weight for a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HELP!!:)

--------------
darklady
angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/06/03, 09:52 PM
I don't think you are eating enough....you should probably be eating more calories to get your metabloism kicked into high gear....

I am 5'2 and as active as you, and this site recommends that I eat 1850 calories per day.

Something to think about.
darklady
darklady
Canada
2008/06/03, 10:10 PM
Very true, I guess I always thought that because I am small I don't need too many calories. Also it can be confusing with all the different advice about caloric intake. It makes sense to eat more when you are really active so maybe I will give it a go. Do you find eating the 1850 a day helps??

--------------
darklady
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/03, 10:50 PM
I think that instead of upping your metabolism, you've been killing it. You definitely need to up your calories.. especially if you are working out as much as you are. Remember though, you won't make any gains without rest days. That's when your body makes its most major gains. As crazy as it sounds, you need to eat to lose weight. By working out like crazy and not taking in enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode and instead of burning calories, it holds on to them for as long as it can. Try a 2000 calorie diet and lessen your workouts a little bit and see what happens.
angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/06/04, 06:07 AM
Yes.....and no. I am losing inches, but not weight. (which is fine by me) Also, what I am finding is that the inches are slowly dropping off but from what I am being told they are more likely to stay off permenantly because of the muscle being built.

So basically this way may take longer, but it is better for you all around.

============
Quoting from darklady:

Very true, I guess I always thought that because I am small I don't need too many calories. Also it can be confusing with all the different advice about caloric intake. It makes sense to eat more when you are really active so maybe I will give it a go. Do you find eating the 1850 a day helps??

=============
darklady
darklady
Canada
2008/06/04, 12:26 PM
Ok I am going to up my caloric intake and see what happens. I know I have to remind myself that I need to take days off as well. I guess I keep thinking that because I don't have much to loose it's just so much harder so I really have to push myself. What do you guys think about this no or minimalcarbs business?? A few friends told me to try it.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/04, 02:50 PM
Cutting carbs will only work for short term weight loss, simply because your body needs carbs. I tried it and lasted for only four days. I lost weight, but a week after I started eating carbs again I gained most of it right back again. I don't agree with it because healthy foods, like fruits and veggies have carbs in them. You can't go without good foods like that. Also, if you do decide to do it make sure you don't go overboard when you decide to bring carbs back in, or you'll just gain even more than you've lost.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/06/05, 08:23 AM
I think that cutting back carbs like processed breads, chips, cake, sugar, etc. is a good thing. Most people could stand to cut out most of those anyway.

But as Jessica said, you need carbs and they're in a lot of the stuff you should be eating.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/05, 11:31 AM

============
Quoting from ecle5c:

I think that cutting back carbs like processed breads, chips, cake, sugar, etc. is a good thing. Most people could stand to cut out most of those anyway.

=============

I agree with this 100%. Get rid of the processed stuff, but keep the good carbs like fruits and veggies. If you eat bread, make sure it's 100% whole grain/whole wheat. Make sure that's the first ingredient on the list. That way you'll also be cutting out a lot of high fat/high sugar foods from your diet, along with cutting down on carbs healthily.
darklady
darklady
Canada
2008/06/09, 09:53 AM
thanks everyone for their input. I don't eat much processed foods but not to say I don't slip up every now and then. I am aslo goin gto try to focus my workouts so that I am incorporating more weight training. I hear that women tend to focus too much on cardio and since I am not a huge person, weights might help more at this point.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/09, 10:28 AM
Weight training is a great idea. You're right about the fact that most women don't do enough for fear that they'll get huge and look like a man. Trust me, it's not going to happen, unless you start taking steroids and all that fun stuff haha. Also, muscle burns more fat, so the more muscle you build, the more fat you'll burn. Good luck with everything!