Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Need some Help for a 52 Year Old !!!

kdubbu04
kdubbu04
United States
2008/02/28, 09:17 PM
My mother is 52 years old and 5'6 260 pounds ( around ). I am a Frequenter at the Gym and have been all my life and quite knowledgeable in workouts/programs... but when it comes to this type of situation i have no idea. Thsu i need some help from the Experts ... What is a good way to start .. she doesnt get Much exercise and has a knee Issue ( not to severe, inflamed tendon ) ... Any Suggestions ... We have a Treadmill , and a Eliptical machine, as well as a small variety of little Weights .. an ab ball. Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/29, 08:15 AM
OKay - start with walking and stretching, if the treadmill aggravates her knee have her use the elliptical. My 70 year-old mother has ankle problems and finds the elliptical good for her, but she also likes the recumbent bike.

Stretching is a good way to start feeling better, find a gentle yoga program on dvd that she can try like AM/PM Yoga or Beginning Yoga for Dummies. The felxibility work may help her knees as well.

The ab ball makes a good bench - teach her to do chest presses with the db's - stay light until she has form down really well. Also teach her to do ne arm db rows or seated db rows. explain the importance of muscle stimulation and building for metabolism and better strength for daily activities.

I had my mother start learning to do squats by having her sit back into a chair, pause and stand up, eventually I would only allow her to lightly touch the chair seat with her butt, then she could only hover over it, then we took the chair away. Start with bodyweight only and really make sure she bends hips first, knees to facilitate further lowering second, and the motion is back into the seat, no knees shooting forward.

The ball is also a good way to do supported squats against the wall - have her place the ball against a wall and her back against the ball - feet out a litle forward, she can lean into the ball and bend into a squat - as far as she feels stable, eventually she will get more depth - then back up.

I find that working with the ball as a bench, and for push-ups (hips on ball, hands on floor), seated shoulder press on the ball, using it for floor work, etc. my older clients improve their balance as well as building strength.

Look on the web for sites that have exercise descriptions/demos for the swiss ball or fitball - then you will have more ideas of things you can do with it.

You will also need to look at your mother's eating habits if she wants to lose weight and be healthier. All the exercise in the world won't make up for a poor diet.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

kdubbu04
kdubbu04
United States
2008/03/09, 11:09 AM
thank you ... i appreciate the info
Big-Paul
Big-Paul
United States
2008/03/27, 03:33 AM
I just had to laugh a little when I read this post not because it was so funny but because at 54 I am just over 400 lbs and when I go to the fitness center I go 1 hour on the treadmill then 30 minutes on eliptical another 30 on abs and stretching and finish with a weight lifting routine that usually lasts about an hour and I know that people who don't see me nearly everyday look and probably think wow he's a heart attack waiting to happen but after a while they come over and say you are an insperation for me good things happen when we just do our best and they don't happen overnight tell your mom to do what she can and those around her will kick in with support I see older people at my gym park in the handicapped space use a cane walking up to the treadmill and hang it over the rail and just do their best and I have never seen anyone get laughed at in any gym so tell mom go for it and asimmer had a very good response about going slow to start tell mom good luck.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/27, 08:52 AM
Nice post, big-Paul. Good to have you here :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach