Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Weight Loss - Beginner

eclypze
eclypze
United States
2008/02/16, 09:01 PM
Hello!

My husband and I are starting to go to our local YMCA. 3 days a week is our goal, and typically i do 30 minutes of a 3 MPH walk, and then 20 minutes of the (killer!) elliptical machine, typically in my THR (not usually hard to hit, lol).

I'm not into weight training, but reading on here, it seems it is a must. I did the free 12 week work out deal, and some of the weight training seems more for males then beginner females *shrugs*.

Anyway... i'm currently 187 lbs. Heaviest i've ever been. i'm 27, and 5'4". I'd love to be back to my 125 (yes, met husband, got fat lol).

Any suggestions would be wonderful. Biggest weakness = eating out. Hubby and I work same hours (typically) home around 7:30pm, go to gym for 1 hour, and come home to eat (or go to subway). Off days, different story.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/02/17, 10:01 AM
First of all weight training is for both sexes. Read this post "Women!!! Ladies!!!! Print and read!!!!!!!!! " it is a sticky post first one in this forum. Then if you still have concerns ask! LOL you will NOT look like a man by training with weights and even going "heavy".

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wzkygrl
wzkygrl
United States
2008/04/12, 10:34 AM
I still have a question, I read the "Women!!! Ladies!!!! Print and read!!!!!!!!! ", but I didn't really see where it says what weight to start at .. the workout that this site generated for me has me doing 4/5 sets of each exercise, and about 5/6 different exercises each time. I am only doing these 3 days a week and it gives me different ones each day (upper mon, legs thurs, etc) so my question is .. what weight should I start at as an intermediate, I have never really been a regular gym goer but broke my back a few years ago and gained 40 pounds. Should I Start off low and increase with each set? Start off higher and decrease with each set? Do each set in a row, or 1 set then move to next one to the next exercise then start over with 2nd set and so on?? I realize it is different for everyone but a basic .. "try 5 lbs then after 8 reps if you don't feel a burn try 8 lbs, do all 4/5 reps on each machine consecutively" kinda thing would be great! Thanks
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/13, 01:14 PM
Find a weight that is doable for the number of reps, then on the next set, go up in weight and down in reps, and on the final set you should be at a weight that is fairly difficult but not so hard that you lose your form.

Starting weight is different for everyone.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

lisaf90
lisaf90
Israel
2008/05/04, 03:52 PM
hey, i have just sighned uo with you all and i have posted a few ?? but have not idea where to look to find the answers. i to am starting out and am confused about my fitness plan. 4 days, each day a different muscle. don't you have to work out a muscle a couple times a week ATLEAST???
lisa
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/05/05, 08:22 AM
lisa - what level of training did you sign up for? Are you a beginner or more advanced? You really only need to hit a body part once every 4 - 7 days, depending on a few different factors. The routines here have worked for a lot of people - give it a try :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach