Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Triglycerides and Cholesterol

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/04, 11:32 AM
Hi! I recently had my yearly physical and first ever lipid panel at the Dr. I was mailed my results along with a note that they were "very favorable" results. My total cholesterol was 148 with my good (LDL?) cholesterol at 44 (which seems low to me) and it says that my bad (HDL?) cholesterol "could not be calculated due to a very low triglyceride level". I've searched on the internet and am still confused and am trying to avoid another call to my Dr. since I've bothered him so much lately with the knee issues. He would welcome the call, but still. Since the results are "very favorable" I hate to be a pest, but would like to understand a little better. Does anyone know what these readings mean, and have any suggestions or thoughts to make the numbers better if I need to? I take Omega 3 supplements every day and try to keep my good fats around 30%. I also use a lot of olive oil in cooking meals. I'm slightly overweight (but losing it slowly!) and have a higher-than-it-should-be body fat percentage so I'm confused by the low triglyceride/cholesterol levels. But, I'm not very good at that "stuff". Thanks for any clarification! Thanks!
mccanntm
mccanntm
United States
2008/02/04, 04:34 PM
Go celebrate. You are mixing up the LDL and HDL but those results are great. I would not change a thing in your diet. (If it is not broke then don't fix it)

I think it is odd that the triglyceride level was so low. If you are concerned, you could have it retested.

When I first had my triglyceride level checked it was over 900. My doctor said my blood had the consistancy of a cream sauce. He said that if he did not know me better, he would have guessed that I was an alcoholic. I have worked it down steadily. Last year I was still high-300 Next week I go again. I frankly don't know what brought it down other than diet and exercise. (I am one of those people who refuse any drugs if there is any natural alternative)
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/04, 05:31 PM
Awesome! Thanks. When I asked the Dr. what caused the triglycerides to be so low (I didn't get a specific number on this) he said "the way you eat", but didn't expand. I guess it's a good thing.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/05, 08:00 AM
Yes - it is a good thing!

One way to remember - HDL 'Happy ' meaning good (that is how I remember it.

Your blood work is just showing that your body is functioning well and your diet is beneficial.

Body fat percentage and lipids in your blood don't have that much to do with each other. You can be very thin and have high cholesterol and a bad lipid profile.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/05, 01:13 PM
Awesome. Thanks!!
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/15, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't being an alcoholic make your blood the opposite of a 'cream sauce'?

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
warmup, cooldown & stretch so seldom seen
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/15, 06:25 PM
Interesting. I wonder?
mccanntm
mccanntm
United States
2008/02/16, 09:56 PM
Krupica

I think it has something to do with the way alcohol damages the liver.
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/16, 10:47 PM
really? Maybe thats what makes it 'natures preservative' haha. Slows everything down to molassess speed.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
warmup, cooldown & stretch so seldom seen