Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

HELP FAST WITH PUSH UPS!!

aeasterly
aeasterly
United States
2008/02/01, 04:54 PM
Okay, I'm trying out for the local police department in my home town. I've been working in the gym 5-6 days a week for a couple of weeks now. I have to be able to do 25 push ups. There isn't any time limit but I can only do about 7-10 girlie pushups (knees on the ground) and only like 2-3 real pushups. I only have a week left before my agility test. I've been working on several different arm machines in attempt to build up my muscles but I don't seem to be getting anywhere! Does anyone out there have any advice?!?! :(
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2008/02/02, 01:10 PM
pushups deal with chest too...more so than the arms. Honestly going from 2 pushups to 25 in a week is unlikely.

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/02, 02:51 PM
Best way to increase the amount of push-ups you can do is..... push-ups.

If you had more time i would say start by doing them with your hands on a bench, body planked out toes on floor, then work your way down to lower surfaces. The smith machine also works well for this. You can start at a manageable height with hands on the bar and work your way down to the floor.

A week isn't long. Do they let you do them girly-style for the test?

Also - try varying hand width and see if you can find a comfortable groove that allows you to crank out more reps, be sure your hands aren't in front of your shoulders, that they are under your weight. Think of pushing the floor away from you, as if you are bench pressing.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/04, 09:43 PM
You're best bet is to run yourself into the ground doing push ups and push up variations about 3x per day, then take the day before the test off...

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2008/03/08, 04:22 PM
Let us know how the tryout goes!