Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Looking for some pointers

CharlieG1
CharlieG1
United States
2007/09/25, 02:59 AM
So I'm kind of in a dilemma right now. I really want to lose some weight (I'm at 240ish) but at the same time I want to gain some muscle. Is it possible?..or should I first lose some weight than gain muscle? I've made some advances (before I couldn't do many push ups, but now it's much easier to do so)..but I feel like I need to get over my current plateau. Any suggestions?
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/25, 07:19 AM
My personal choise is to eat right and exercise. I do mostly weight training because that seems to suit me best. My measurements haven't changed much yet, but I feel different and know I'm on the right track. The problem with many diets are that you loose both fat and muscle if you don't work your muscles at the same time.

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there...
-----------------------------------
texan_sunrise
texan_sunrise
United States
2007/10/26, 08:50 PM
Lose more weight in fat than you gain in muscle. Your number will go down. It's kinda bad to base it on a number though. More on the way you look and feel. Or a tape measure. But since muscle weighs more than fat does, then if you put on more muscle than you lose in fat for say, a month, then your poundage will go up, and that is usually detrimental to most. I haven't weighed myself the entire time I've been working out. I can see the changes though, and I feel better about myself. Isn't that all that matters? Count your calories, and exercise. You will lose fat and gain muscle, which is what you want.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/10/27, 11:01 AM
The two issues that byou have are Diet and exercise. There is no info in your profile and saying that you are 240ish doesn't help get you the correct response. Yopu may be 5'6" or you may be 6'2".
From the vague information, stick to a healthy diet (not talking fad diets), and exercise minimum 3x per week and you will see results that I think you are looking for.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)