Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Hamstring

drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/28, 09:44 AM
Well I guess I didn't warm up well enough last night as I injured my hamstring while doing lunges. Not real bad, just enough to make it painful. I iced it when I got home and going ice it and stretching it in the morning and afternoon. I think that is all I can do for it but if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to express them.

I knew I didn't like lunges!

Debbie
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/28, 09:50 AM
Funny you should post this! I was going to write a post about Yoga and reducing muscle strain from lifting (specifically in the hamstrings!). Give it a try, it will REALLY loosen up the hamstrings and make the pain more tolerable (although not completely eliminated) while you recover.
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/28, 10:01 AM
I will have to get some instruction, I know nothing about Yoga. I will search in here and the internet today!
Thanks amy.

Debbie
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/08/28, 02:27 PM
Steps to care for a hamstring pull
Once injured, it sometimes takes months to heal from a bad hamstring pull. Reinjury is common if you are not careful. As a result, taking the right steps to care for the strain is essential:

1. Rest.Rest is always key for any muscle pull, especially for the weeks right after it has happened.

2. Ice. Icing the pull is helpful in keeping the swelling and inflammation down. Generally it is recommended to ice for 15 minutes a time, a few times a day. It is also good to ice immediately after using the muscle.

3. Compression. A little massage and compression of the muscle can be good. However, if you are not experienced at doing this, it is best to visit a professional, such as a physical therapist.

4. Elevation. If the pull is serious and swollen, it is good to elevate the leg and stay off of it until the acute pain and swelling diminishes.

5. Anti-inflammatories. Ibuprofen, in products such as Advil or Aleve, helps to reduce inflammation. However, be careful to limit intake of these as they can upset the lining of the stomach.

6. Contract surrounding muscles. Engage the muscles around the hamstring through strengthening exercises. Tightening and contracting buttocks muscles above the hamstring pull will help relieve the pressure on the hamstring muscle and give it a rest.

7. Roll out the muscle. After the injury has significantly healed, it is often helpful to sit on a hard tennis ball to roll out the scared or tense part of the hamstring. However, avoid doing this if the hamstring injury is still in its acute phase.

--------------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Rabula Tasa- Latin meaning Clean Slate
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/28, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the help bill, #3 = an excuse for a massage!!

--------------
\" Success is not for the chosen few but rather for the few who choose it.\"
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/29, 09:08 AM
The hammie hurts worse today, I guess I should give it a couple days rest. I think the tredmill was a bit hard on it.
Ahhhhh #1 on bills list.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/29, 10:18 AM
Yeah, maybe you should give it a day or two if you think you have injured the hamstring. If you have simply over-exerted, stretching may help but if you have injured it you need to let it rest! Bills is right.
Regarding Yoga, if you are wanting to give yoga a try, I personally recommend starting with the "Yoga for Weight Loss" DVD. It's a great DVD to get you started in learning basic poses without causing injury, etc. It has 4 seperate ladies as examples from the very very beginner (using blocks and a strap) up to the instructor who can rest her head on her butt while standing (I'm not there yet!!!). I think you would really enjoy it as a supplement to your other workouts. I now do a motion type routine where the poses are constantly changing and moving. It's very graceful and feels great. I enjoy it more than sitting in a single pose for a number of minutes. I use it to ease my mind and stress, although there are definately physical benefits. When I started the routine Monday after I hurt my hammies on the DL's, I could only reach my knees on a forward fold. By the end of the session I was able to rest my hands on the floor again in the forward fold with virtually no pain. It's so great for stretching. Good luck and give it a try! I encourage EVERYONE to give it a try!!!
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/29, 11:14 AM
I will look for the DVD and give it a shot.......... I do think I am going to give it a few days though, I can't even sit on the toilet with out lots of pain, omg.
Thanks amy!
Debbie

--------------
Success is not for the chosen few but rather for the few who choose it.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/29, 01:38 PM
lol Debbie. I feel your pain (literally). I almost broke the toilet yesterday morning because I couldn't sit down, I had to "fall" onto it due to the pain.
You are doing so good though. Keep it up!!!!
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/29, 01:41 PM
Thanks amy, the fall is bad and yes that is what I do, but the yelling for your hubby to help you get back is what is embarrasing, hehehehehehe

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/11, 07:28 PM
A couple things I have to say...

If by injured, you mean torn, then flexibility has little to do with it. Instead, the most common cause of hamstring tears is poor gluteal function. You might try some lieing bridges and x-band walks as part of your warm up from now on to get your glutes firing properly prior to lifting.

RICE. Rest is for the deceased. Ice is good for bee stings and putting in my drinks. That's about it. You want to INCREASE blood flow to an injury, not eliminate it. I've seen the research on this and it's been covered in my studies, and I can not understand why this is still so heavily recommended. In addition, why would you elevate something (speed up drainage) and then ice (delay drainage)?

The most important thing with any tear, a hamstring tear especially, is to stretch as soon as you can, to prevent the muscle from healing shorter than it was. I tore my right hamstring (I got lazy and stupid), complete blow out, 3-4 months ago. I was lazy with my rehab, and to this day it is SIGNIFICANTLY tighter than my left hamstring.

Besides that, everyone should already be taking anti-inflammatories in the form of omega-3's. If you aren't yet, then start.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/09/13, 11:29 AM
Thanks wrestler, I did exactly that. I learned how to stretch my hamstring to help it along, what a difference. It is feeling much better now and I stretch it before and each workout.
The omega 3 thing is new to me and am going to look it up.

Debbie

--------------