Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Scared to death!

comedyandtraged
comedyandtraged
United States
2007/08/04, 11:00 AM
I:( am a new member. I have come here as a last ditch effort to get help. I had made a decision to get healthy last year and I have done an ok job so far. I work out 5 days per week and walk on my days off. Here is my problem. I have hit a plateau. I have been stuck at 185 for about 6 weeks. I have been told by several people that i dont eat enough ( I am eating approx. 1300 calories per day, 5'11"). After reading my nutrional plan here I was shocked when it said I should be eating over 3000 calories per day! I am 100% sure I need to eat more, but I am petrified that I will gain weight. I eat very clean and eat every 3 hours. I do 30 mins of cardio 5 days and 30-45 weights 5 days. I am getting tired of working so hard and not seeing any changes. I admit that I a "scale motivated", but I don't know how to change. Can someone please help me and tell me what to do?

--------------
~~~~ Power = Strenth / Time ~~~~
11/1/2006 - 238 lbs
8/4/2007 - 185 lbs
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2007/08/04, 11:59 AM
I can say that you definitely need to eat more. With all of that exercise your body is holding on to everything it can.

I'm sure someone here will give you some excellent advice. As Ron always says, eating healthy alone can't do it. You need to have a big plate of patience!

You should go to a website like fitday.com to track your food, your lifestyle and your activities. It will tell you how many calories a day you are burning. Then I would eat about 500 less than that per day. That should give you about a pound a week as 3500 calories = 1 pound.

Also, what type of cardio are you doing? If it is the same cardio routine 5 days a week, your body is used to that by now and doesn't even think it's getting a work out any longer. Do a search below for HIIT training. You will be able to find out a lot of information.

Last of all, DON'T GIVE UP!

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/05, 09:23 AM
You don't need the 500 deficit to come from food only - try to eat 200-300 less calories than you maintenance calorie level and exercise to reduce the rest of the 500 calories.

3000 is too much, freetrainers tends to calculate high. I would say at 185lbs you could do 1,600-1,800 and still lose weight.

How are you splitting up your calories? What percentage of protein, carbs and fat? This can make a big difference, too.

When was the last time you tried a new routine? A different type of cardio? What type of bodypart split are you ion for lifting? Do you challenge your muscles when you lift? How many reps do you usually do? Are you using free weights or machines?

If you feel like you cannot figure all of this out on your won, I would suggest hiring a certified personal trainer for a few sessions to teach you some new things and to show you how hard you should be working.

Bustiong a plateau is usualy about changing what you have been doing, you just need to figure out what it is you need to change.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

comedyandtraged
comedyandtraged
United States
2007/08/05, 08:34 AM
I know you are right. I am just so afraid to go backwards that I am afraid to change. I am going to change my cardio like you said. I have been doing the same cardio. Thanks for the vote of confidence. ~Jennifer~

============
Quoting from thepoohguy:

I can say that you definitely need to eat more. With all of that exercise your body is holding on to everything it can.

I'm sure someone here will give you some excellent advice. As Ron always says, eating healthy alone can't do it. You need to have a big plate of patience!

You should go to a website like fitday.com to track your food, your lifestyle and your activities. It will tell you how many calories a day you are burning. Then I would eat about 500 less than that per day. That should give you about a pound a week as 3500 calories = 1 pound.

Also, what type of cardio are you doing? If it is the same cardio routine 5 days a week, your body is used to that by now and doesn't even think it's getting a work out any longer. Do a search below for HIIT training. You will be able to find out a lot of information.

Last of all, DON'T GIVE UP!

=============

--------------
11/1/2006 - 238 lbs
8/4/2007 - 185 lbs
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2007/08/06, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the additional input. I never intended for my 500 number to appear as I meant only food intake. I meant 500 less than the total amount being burned off per day with the basal plus any additional lifestyle and exercise calories.

Jennifer, just remember, you didn't put the weight on overnight, so don't expect it to come off that fast. There is no "all nighter" that you can pull to healthy living.
comedyandtraged
comedyandtraged
United States
2007/08/06, 03:57 PM
Thank you for your prompt reply. First I need to say, your pictures are amazing. You are gorgeous. If I could only look 1/4 as good as you look I would be ecstatic!

As far as how I am splitting my calories, I honestly don't know. I can tell you that I hate most proteins, so I tend to avoid them when I can. I know that is a huge no no! I walk either outside or on a treadmill and I alternate some days incline, some days no incline for 30 mins. As far as weights go, I use machines and I lift fairly light weight upper body, as I am extremely weak. Maybe 20 lbs. I do approx. 3 sets of 10. Honestly, I could probably do more, and like most, I do not challenge myself. Maybe I have answered my own question.... :-)

============
Quoting from asimmer:

You don't need the 500 deficit to come from food only - try to eat 200-300 less calories than you maintenance calorie level and exercise to reduce the rest of the 500 calories.

3000 is too much, freetrainers tends to calculate high. I would say at 185lbs you could do 1,600-1,800 and still lose weight.

How are you splitting up your calories? What percentage of protein, carbs and fat? This can make a big difference, too.

When was the last time you tried a new routine? A different type of cardio? What type of bodypart split are you ion for lifting? Do you challenge your muscles when you lift? How many reps do you usually do? Are you using free weights or machines?

If you feel like you cannot figure all of this out on your won, I would suggest hiring a certified personal trainer for a few sessions to teach you some new things and to show you how hard you should be working.

Bustiong a plateau is usualy about changing what you have been doing, you just need to figure out what it is you need to change.

=============

--------------
11/1/2006 - 238 lbs
8/4/2007 - 185 lbs

\"Look up, get up, and never give up\"- Michael Irvin
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/08/06, 07:03 PM
You need protein. You wont build muscle without it.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/08/06, 09:41 PM
Watch it now, she's with me..... hehe just playing :love:

============
Quoting from comedyandtraged:

Thank you for your prompt reply. First I need to say, your pictures are amazing. You are gorgeous. If I could only look 1/4 as good as you look I would be ecstatic!

=============

--------------
Let me show you
Sweet smell of a delicate whisper
Behind the vision of gardens
Go and read of your life
Tiny ripping at the heart
Drunk from a rose

thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2007/08/07, 06:18 AM
Thank you! :big_smile:
Oh wait, you were talking about asimmer weren't you?:(

============
Quoting from comedyandtraged:

Thank you for your prompt reply. First I need to say, your pictures are amazing. You are gorgeous.
=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/07, 12:32 PM
No, I think you are gorgeous, poohguy:)

comedyandtragedy, i think you answered your own questions.... and I got to look this way by...drumroll please....lifting heavy weights , eating lots of protein...and being consistent with it all:)

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

comedyandtraged
comedyandtraged
United States
2007/08/08, 09:17 PM
LOL You are hot too!!!

============
Quoting from thepoohguy:

Thank you! :big_smile:
Oh wait, you were talking about asimmer weren't you?:(

=============