Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

heart rate

FLgirl140
FLgirl140
United States
2007/07/20, 12:54 PM
Hello

I just bought a heart rate monitor and was told it is best to stay in your fat burning zone for best results. My fitness test came back as elite. My workouts results are 75% is my my average and 90% is my max; 40% of my calories burned are fat calories. I'm also seeing 70% ave and 86% max with 55% of my calories burned being fat calories.

I enjoy my workouts more when I go into high intensities. Is there benefit here? I truly enjoy them more than calmer workouts but I want to get the most benefit from my workouts.

Can someone please offer input? I don't need to lose weight. If I lost 5 lbs, I wouldn't be too skinny. If I gained 5, I'd need to lose it. I'm 5'1" and 5 lbs mean a lot. I do have quite a bit of muscle.

Thank you for any input.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/20, 01:09 PM
I think you ebenfit from switching it up and working in different zones each workout. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher, somtimes alternating intervals of low and high.

You burn more calories toatl when you do higher intensity or intervals, so the fat burning zone is kind of misunderstood. yes it will supposedly tap into more fatty acids at a lower aerobic intesnity, but when you look at overall caloric burn it really doesn't hold up.

Switch it up and do what you enjoy.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle