Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

few random questions

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/19, 11:51 PM
I've read about this thing you squat on(bopx squat style) that is squishy...so it makes it harder to stand up...I'd assume.

So I don't know what a hassok looks like....nor do I have anything like this. But to day i was sitting in the gym...and we have one of those half balls....part on the floor is flat...with half a ball on top..for "core" training lol

I was thinking if I put that on top of a box...would that be a good sustitute for a hassok squat?

2. I've looked at 2 different demo's of dimal dls....besides squeezing my ass and push it back....is their any difference in that and a roman dl? Cause they look pretty much the same

3. This workout looks intense(http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/80/)..and says you can gain 100lbs on your squat in 13 weeks. And i'm taking it it's % x sets x reps correct? when its given the cycles?

Also what kind of secondary and axhilary excercises should I do? Same as like on west side? Maybe pick one a day for each workout?
But since i'm squatting 4 days a week....how would I train upper body? On the 3 other days?

I dont' mind the hard work..but I don't want to overtrain....i'm not a "full time" athlete....so i can't JUST train lol

any ideas?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/20, 08:41 AM
Nothing constructive to add, but squatting 4 times a week sounds insane. I don't think my body could handle that.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/07/20, 09:17 AM
Damn that squat cycle is nuts. I know that I can't hit 90% for 5 sets of 5. I pretty sure I could do for one set, but not 5. that is just insane. To the best of my knowledge this cycle is set up to make your squat monstrous. I can't see adding in much for the upper body. May a quick 3x3 bench and some sort of row just to maintain. With that kind of beating I wouldn't do anything else for legs.

--------------
Light bulb shaped people are easy to push over!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/20, 03:16 PM
Most (experianced) people have trouble hitting more than 90% for a double.

Also, I didn't check out the cycle, but if it is from dragon door (pavel's website) be advised that russians write reps*sets and not sets*reps (usually).

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2007/07/20, 03:59 PM
They might want you to take 90% of your 5 rep max instead of 90% of your 1-rep max...
2007/07/20, 04:42 PM
I think gatormade is probably right...as it makes no sense the other way...

also how much rest does the program call for between sets? I mean u can take an extreme cases with 15-30 min rest periods which would allow for some very heavy sets...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/20, 09:07 PM
what about questions 1 and 2?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/20, 10:27 PM
It might make a good substitute. The point is it's a variation, just like the hassock squat.

And I can't answer that. I've had them explained to me, one of our guys swears by them (going for the junior national record in deadlift in a week) and basically explained them like a RDL but increasing in speed as you go through your set.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/22, 06:34 AM
Well I was trying dimal dls...just felt like a real short partial?

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/24, 06:03 PM
Also..when I do 2 board presses( I use aerobic stacks) about 7in off my chest) I've only maxed out at around 320 or so...

But on floore press in a power rack...I have done 360?

Why lol? Both are abotu the same distance....I get no leg drive on the floore...nor can I arch that much.

--------------