Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Concentric only training?

cholestrol
cholestrol
Australia
2007/07/19, 01:32 AM
I dont train under the 6 rep ranges due to chance of being injured. But I heard that training over 6 rep ranges is not good for power and strength development, as you are not using or firing all the neurons in the muscle. I thought of this training method in which you would get 50% of 1 rep max for most given exercises and lift it as fast as possible with no eccentric part in the rep, something like olympic lifitng. Will you not also gain power and strength using this method as lifitng a weight as fast as possible forces you to use all your muscle cells.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/07/19, 07:37 AM
If you train smart you can go under 6 reps with out fear.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/19, 08:58 AM
That sounds like a dynamic lifting day. There are a few articles on the westside-barbell website about dynamic lifting and how doing more sets of fewer reps (10 sets of 3 reps for instance) helps increase your 1rm because you are concentrating on pushing faster and building the acceleration.

Do some research on the west-side routine and see if that fits what you're talking about.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/19, 02:40 PM
Cholesterol...that's genius!! Wait...crap...that IS dynamic lifting. :laugh:

Just kidding, man. It's good that you're thinking hard about your training. Welcome to the forum.

A beginner can usually gain strength very quickly at the 8-12 rep range, but sooner or later, to progress, you're gonna need to be lifting heavy. All this stuff is really a lot more complicated than people make it out to be. For example, you will often read/see this:

1-5 reps: Strength and power
6-8 reps: Muscular Size
8-12 reps: Muscular definition
Anything more: Endurance

My advice would be to avoid this train of thought, even though it has some validity. Just stay dedicated in your training and reading.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/19, 09:18 PM
Concentric only training is nothing new. However, it is generally used in rehab settings, ex. cancer patients who can not yet do bodyweight exercises.

Are you a cancer survivor who can't do bodyweight exercises?

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/19, 09:29 PM
One a more productive note, I don't know of a single olympic lifter that doesn't lift heavy, and I have never heard of doing only dynamic training without some kind of heavy training.

That said, there is nothing wrong with going under 6 reps. After years of research, the best way to get stronger and faster is STILL to lift something heavy.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/19, 11:35 PM

============
Quoting from arondaballer:

Cholesterol...that's genius!! Wait...crap...that IS dynamic lifting. :laugh:

Just kidding, man. It's good that you're thinking hard about your training. Welcome to the forum.

A beginner can usually gain strength very quickly at the 8-12 rep range, but sooner or later, to progress, you're gonna need to be lifting heavy. All this stuff is really a lot more complicated than people make it out to be. For example, you will often read/see this:

1-5 reps: Strength and power
6-8 reps: Muscular Size
8-12 reps: Muscular definition
Anything more: Endurance

My advice would be to avoid this train of thought, even though it has some validity. Just stay dedicated in your training and reading.

=============

How do reps of 8-12 train "defination?"

Alot of the newer stuff i've been reading....is hypertrophy can go as high as 20....

true endurance not getting to around 50 reps..

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/20, 03:25 PM
While I agree you can't train "definition" with a rep range, what have you been reading about "true hypertropy"?

Kindly fill me in on how you can seperate strength qualities.

There is no magical number of reps where you stop training for strength and start training for endurance. You can get stronger doing sets of 12, and you can get stronger doing sets of 20. You can hypertrophy while doing singles, and you can build endurance by doing doubles. While some of these may not be the most effective means, it's not like you won't get stronger if you stop doing sets of 4 and do sets of 6.

Also, strength, endurance, power, etc, are all relative terms. Doing sets of 10 will build endurance at a lower rep range, doing sets of 50 at a higher rep range, etc. If you need enough endurance to flip a tire 15 times as quickly as possible, that is what you train. You can do max effort flips, speed flips, and high rep flips, but if you are training to do it 15 times, then DO IT 15 TIMES.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/20, 04:57 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...I was saying to avoid that train of thought. Look at what I said. In no way do I endorse those "magical rep" numbers. I merely said it had SOME validity, and I was using that as an example (hence the "For example," part)- saying that he would see that a lot in articles, etc.

Just wanted to clear that up.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt