Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

weight loss

elletsportsmom
elletsportsmom
United States
2007/07/11, 11:51 PM
Can someone please educate me a little on how to cook healthy for a family of five(all with different food preferences.)I need to lose weight, roughly 70 pounds.I have a ten year old that is a little overweight in the belly area,too. My ohter children are in great shape.I am also trying to get an excercise routine down. I work two jobs, go to college full time and my children are all continually in sports- with only about 2-3 weeks break inbetween sports. Any help would be appreciated
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/07/12, 09:16 AM
hi elletsportsmom and welcome to FT. I have found the best solution is to cook up food in advance. There are some great ideas thumbtacked at the top of the food and nutrition section along with great recipes. No one in my family seems to eat the same things for dinner and we are always on the go..in different directions. On Sundays I grill up about 10 chicken breast, large batch of rice in my rice cooker, a large filet of salmon and veggies (sweet potato, squash etc) I'd say on average I spend 1hr on a Sunday pre preparing food! We only have a sit down dinner on Sundays, so there is tons of choice to eat. Then I put all the left overs in the fridge for easy access. In the winter I'll cook a big batch of chili in my crock pot or other large batch recipes. I always have pre packaged salad greens, red peppers and pre-cut veggies in the fridge along with a variety of fruit. Frozen veggie mixes are handy as well. My kids are now a bit older, 13 and 16, so they pretty much just grab what they want, but I have very little junk food in the house, so most of their choices are good. If they really want junk food I tell them they can buy their own small bag of chips or whatever with their own money! The other bonus of all this is that making lunches for school, and for myself at work, is easy.

Bottom line...pre prepare food, get rid of junk food and pop from the house and keep a wide variety of pre cut veggies and fruit handy.

Once you "clean house" and get in the habit of pre-preparing, it's amazing how much simpler life becomes!