Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

It's No Use...I Look The Same...

dart368
dart368
United States
2007/07/03, 01:56 AM
That's what I used to say after working out and looking in the mirror. Or after a few weeks of working hard, hitting the weights, running my butt off and eating right. But I didn't see the changes inside of my body. I didn't realize that I was raising my metabolism and that in time, it would change my life.

Well, it did. I can really feel the difference and see the difference (Finally). People are the one's who see the difference first though. We fail to see it as much since we see ourselves everyday, looking in the mirror to see if we look any better. Don't think about it that way. Think about the benefits that are happening inside of your body instead of looking for the quick fix on the outside. And believe me, you WILL look better in time. It is something that takes time to develop but don't ever give up and say it's no use.

There was a co-worker of mine who used to work out in the gym at work and he would see me lifting and say, "Why bother?" But he didn't know that I would stick with it and that I wouldn't be the short, pudgy guy who people at work used to say I was a member of the "Rolly-Polly Club." Yes, it took 4 or 5 years to acheive some of my goals when it came to fitness. But I never gave up...DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/03, 08:44 AM
Nice post, dart!

It is important that we keep in mind all of the health benefits to working out and eating right - looking good is a great side effect, but keep in mind that you are improving the quality of your life everytime you workout and every time you choose a healthy meal over a junk-food meal!

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
Jazzalto
Jazzalto
United States
2007/07/03, 09:23 PM
I'm just so frustrated. I changed jobs because I knew that the time and the stress that I was putting into my first job were not allowing me to be healthy. Now it's been a year and I am still a fat mess despite the fact that I have been at the gym at least 3 times a week for the whole year. Really, I'm a strong vegetarian and I eat fruits and vegetables, but I can't seem to lose the weight.
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/07/04, 02:19 AM
Hey Jazzalto, you sound just like me after my first year of running 2-3 miles, 3 times a week and working out almost every day with weights. It may take a while to notice for yourself that you are looking better. Other people will notice before you do. And like asimmer said, it is the other health benefits that are more important than how you look. Just think about how you are making your heart stronger and how you will probably live longer to enjoy your younger relatives, siblings, children, grandchildren, etc.

One thing that might help is if you made an appointment with a dietician or nutritionist. I saw two of them and they helped me to understand about what I was eating and how it was affecting my body. But then again, you can get a lot of good info on this forum as well. Good luck and stay with it...don't ever give up!
ixiaznretard
ixiaznretard
United States
2007/07/07, 12:29 AM
patience my friend patience :)
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/07/08, 01:49 AM
Yes, patience goes a long way. Like I said, I didn't see that much improvement for a while but you have got to stick with it and it will come...trust me!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/07/11, 05:46 PM
That was a great post, dart, and a great bit of inspiration to me! I am getting ready to sign up for a degree in criminal law --and I can also take the 10-week police course, but have to be in good shape -and although I have gone down 6-8 pant sizes and my stamina is much better, I know I have a ways to go before I can consider the course, and people think it is hilarious that me, at nearly 46, am even thinking about it. I got my boxing bag, too, and hammer that thing to pieces, so I am hoping within the next two months I will be fit enough to sign up for that course, too, as I think it would be beneficial to my degree and employment. Thanks for the post!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill