Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

My 375 squat

2007/07/01, 04:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1IhctOFi6w

Video tapped my post injury squat at 375 at bw of 208lb....was originally planning for single but went for double after 1st rep on an impulse to really see where my form breaks down....so knees caving in is pretty bad ....how bad is the GMing on 2nd rep? how is depth?(how deep did it seem i got?)...any suggestions?

thanks guys...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/01, 10:47 AM
Your butt is popping up 1st....drive with chest head up 1st.

Very good depth though.

why the beanie? lol

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
jakewa3
jakewa3
Canada
2007/07/03, 09:41 PM
You look pretty much as I do when I get tired at the end of my reps, looking for any way to get the weight back up. Form on first looked really good. The injury time off just cost you some strength. You know what you need to do, as evidenced by the first squat, but the body and mind do strange things when fighting that last one. As Andrew said just try to concentrate on driving with head/chest up. You looked to be below parallel so depth is very good.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/07/03, 10:01 PM
My 2 cents if they count lol, It depends on the persons point of view and some will say the further back you butt goes the better and you can't be as upright as some would like to see when your putting your but back so far.

So in my 2 cent conclusion I would say if you were going for a more glute, ham and low back hit you did great but a conditioning coach or trainer would be able to point out any slight flaws.

You were in a wide stance so I'm going with the posterior chain hit and say it looked good because again anyone in person that has had me in a rack for that specific lift always have told me the further back the better and if I wanted to be more upright and hit the quads more to go into a close stance.

A side view may have help with the upright form but the view you gave I believe was for a reason and that was to see how far back you went and how low and I think you went back great as we no most people let alone don't break that low the never sit that far back but I do and a few rally good power lifters I know do too and like a said I always see a difference in the upright form they further back we go!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/07/03, 10:07 PM
I do see what Big saw and that was in the second lift it seemed your lower half moved but your upper didn't until your butt was up a bit, second lift didn't look like the 1st and not like a whole body motion at once!

I hope I made some sense but I do like the 1st lift and a side view would have been nice.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/05, 12:09 PM
First off, are you wearing basketball shoes??? You already know what I'm going to say if you are...

How's the bar feel on your back? It almost looks like you could bring your hands in, even though they are pretty close to begin with. Of course, this is subjective. Tough to tell by looking at it, and it could just be that you aren't getting your chest out/high enough.

Brace your abs before you drop into the hole. Fill them with air, push out, and contract. Also, when driving out of the hole, pull your elbows forward towards the mirror.

It seems like your head is kind of forward. Almost like right when you begin to descend your first move is to allow your head to come forward.

And keep those knees out. This is the first thing you need to work on (after the shoes)

All in all, pretty good. Impressive progress.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/05, 10:24 PM
My butt pops up early too somtimes..does bring elbow forward help? I be afriad bar roll down my back or shift.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

2007/07/05, 11:09 PM
What is so particularly bad about the shoes? I know people wear chucks and I believe they are bball shoes also...these are DADA bball shoes and they seem to have really good balace. The also have very little sole relative to other shoes. Suggestions on the shoes?

Ok chest up, head up, elbows up...will really work on these....knees out is something I consciously fight but it still gets pretty bad when I am fighting for the last ugly rep.

thanks a ton guys....
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/07/06, 02:08 AM
in regards to the knees caving in thing, i remember reading an article on elitefts about a method to help cure it. basically, take a band and wrap it around the legs just below your knees. load up the bar with some weight (obviously not maxes here) and squat. the bands will try to pull you legs in together so you must conciously fight against it. after some time doing this, i guess it becomes second nature and the bands can be dropped. in fact, i am going to do it tommorrow during speed work...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/06, 12:20 PM
Chucks would be downright painful to wear playing basketball. They have next to nothing in the way of sole. I'd recommend them or wrestling shoes.

I've also heard really good things about the nike frees, and I really like the concept behind them. Hopefully this will be the new trend in footwear. Till then, I'll go back to barefoot whenever I can.

Look for an adductor weakness (yes, adductor) as one of the possible causes for knees caving in. I know it seems counterintuitive, but trust me here.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/07/06, 12:50 PM
how would you test for an adductor weakness? would you use the machine and compare adductor to abductor? i have the cavin knee problem too..

i think im pickin up some chucks in a few weeks... they have so many cool looking options. i found some that are all black except for this white skull... i think they summarize my workouts pretty well.. but i have been contemplating the frees as well so who knows...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/06, 01:04 PM
I have some Nike Frees, and they are the crap. They might not be perfect for lifting, but they are dang good overall. And since I live in this great traffic-jam tourist town with all the outlet stores, I can get them super cheap :laugh:

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/07/06, 03:43 PM
yo arondaballer, how much is cheap? cuz i cant seem to find any around here and especially not in my size for cheap.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/06, 08:38 PM
I like wrestling shoes...I used the same pair from 8th grade....they don't wear out easily.

--------------

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/08, 11:01 PM
Natedawg, I got my last pair for 30 bucks or so.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/07/09, 01:03 PM
holy crap... i might make you pick some up for me and mail them hahah. i have seen some here for about 70 but they arent in my size.