Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Help. Im confused. Running And Weight Tr

anewfoundsin
anewfoundsin
United States
2007/06/26, 02:09 PM
Hello I have a question. I've been running for about 3-4 months now on a consistent 4-5x a week slowly increasing my mileage. I got to point where I can 4-5 miles straight without stopping. My original intent was distance running and maybe run marathon one day. That is until about last month when i decided to do Weight Training as a Priority instead of distance running. (My friend saids you will get toned and look better and burn more fat)
So for about almost a month I been hitting the gym with heavy weights with intent to bulid muscle (im 25 male). I still run but 2-3x week on my off days. But NOW, I can barely run 2 miles nonstop!! I have to stop. It sucks! Why is it now I can barely run 2 miles straight where before I even ran up to 6 miles without stopping.
Any ideas?
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/06/27, 01:07 AM
You may not be taking in enough calories/carbs for the amount of exercise that you are doing and your body doesn't have the fuel to do all that you are asking it to do. Check out the calorie calculator and the nutritional plan above. Also, make sure that you are properly hydrated as that will fatigue your body as well. Good luck. :-)
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/07/02, 01:31 PM
That's interesting...and I'm sorry I don't have an answer. I have had the opposite experience. I mostly weight train, rarely run and cannot yet run a 5K without stopping...but since I've been weight training I found the last time I attempted a 5K I could go much longer without stopping, and actually it was a sore knee that shut me down, not my cardiovascular shortcomings. I could only attribute the improvement to my intense weight training sessions, since I don't train for running. Or maybe HIIT on the treadmill helped. Hmmm...I'd like to know, too!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/03, 08:27 AM
It may be the combination of a few factors - you may not be getting enough fuel. Your muscles may be tired from your weight training if you are going very heavy. You have probably slightly de-trained because you are not running the same mileage and frequency as before.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/07/03, 12:00 PM
I agree with the rest of them...you likely need more fuel and more recovery and I'll bet it's mainly more fuel!